Any PGA Pro play with a shut face halfway back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am utilizing the right hand bend back during the takeaway. And when the shaft gets parallel to the ground, the clubface is obviously shut. Completing the backswing and the clubface is in line with my left arm.

Do any of the pga pros play with this initial and somewhat extreme shut clubface when their shaft is parallel to the ground during takeaway.

One pro I can think of is Stuart Appleby.

Cope

New
face

Lots of pros have it matching their spin angle about waist high. Most teachers would call this position "shut." It is not. Many have it "shut" at the top.

I am utilizing the right hand bend back during the takeaway. And when the shaft gets parallel to the ground, the clubface is obviously shut. Completing the backswing and the clubface is in line with my left arm.

Do any of the pga pros play with this initial and somewhat extreme shut clubface when their shaft is parallel to the ground during takeaway.

One pro I can think of is Stuart Appleby.

rory sabbatini. he gets the face almost square to closed.

When does closed actually become closed and not just less open?

Can anyone show a picture(s) of a CLOSED clubface during various point in the swing. I think I know but am not 100%

dbl

New
You asked only for pros who are "closed" halfway back..and that is kind of a limiting request. I can think of a few players who are "closed" at the top but I can't categorically say their position halfway back.

If you are interested, check out Fred Funk, Paul Azinger, Rich Beem, and the 1994 Tiger Woods (shown recently on tgc in the 94 US Am win at TPC).

You asked only for pros who are "closed" halfway back..and that is kind of a limiting request. I can think of a few players who are "closed" at the top but I can't categorically say their position halfway back.

If you are interested, check out Fred Funk, Paul Azinger, Rich Beem, and the 1994 Tiger Woods (shown recently on tgc in the 94 US Am win at TPC).

Yeah, I don't care about who's closed at the top of their swing. Just when the shaft is parallel to the ground during takeaway.

One of the above posters mentioned how the clubface should match the angle of the spine when shaft is parallel to ground during takeaway. I found this to be true with a lot of the players...although the majority of them have the face slightly open when compared to their spine angle.

I understand that it might be due to the players trying to hit fades.

Pretty sure Trevino's face would never have been more open than vertical (IF ever vertical) at 1st parallel.............he played a fade a lot.

Last edited:

dbl

New
I saw Furyk's swing today and his clubface is "closed" halfway back, and then lying on the plane at the top.

Another candidate to check out is Zach Johnson.

Last edited:
I just watched Kenny Perry on the 17th at the Players on Friday do a complete 'wedding ring' up finish. They showed in slow mo too so it was easy to confirm. That club face was so shut by the time he finished.... I now look for these things, and it's interesting.

I don't think it's a normal move for Kenny (maybe it is) but I imagine at that level a pro knows when he's got to 'save' a shot. Regardless it was so twisted over, it could have been Brian showing the wedding ring up drill in the finish.

one thing i just noticed. in the last part of the video where they show super slow mo of impact. Look at his grip. right thumb completely off the club and trigger finger is rolled more under the club then nuetral would suggest? what do you guys gather from that?

Yea, great swing, a little over 3/4 of the video I saw and heard something very interesting from Peter Kostis, I believe he said that the ball was compressed between the club and the ground, No way! did that happen nor does it happen. Could make a good discussion.:)

It maybe "feels" like you compress it between the face and ground, but I don't think that's what "really" happens. Maybe it does though.

Another thing to notice (albeit unrelated to the thread topic): his right foot is completely FLAT on the ground :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.