Arched left wrist at impact[w/ManzellaAudioAnswer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDL

New
I don't LOOK LOOK LOOK. I weakly and furtively glance , glance, glance. I have known for many months, perhaps even a year or more, that my left wrist is arched at impact. Never previously bothered me because I used it as anti-throwaway, anti-left wrist cup insurance.

However, my impact fix alignment has always been a flat left wrist, not arched. May be responsible for my plane problems, running out of right arm, and divots pointing in the wrong direction.

In practice, without a ball, and LOOKING,not glancing, a completely flat left wrist at impact does feel like I am hitting into a tire as demonstrated in the Ben Doyle video posted on Mr. Blake's site. Leads me to believe that an arched left wrist, for swingers, (don't know about hitters), is a source of power leakage.

DDL

New
How far forward can one's aiming point be? What you have said makes a lot of sense. In order not to hit it fat, have a slightly arched left wrist and not look down the shaft as Ben Doyle says on the video posted on Mr. Blake's site, my aiming point needs to be left of my left foot, not at my customary aiming point, back inside corner of the ball.

Pretty bizarre. On full shots, my left wrist is arched and I look down the shaft. I think at impact I am getting a false increase in axis because my upper body leans back more. Aiming my hands MUCH more forward helps. On the Ben Doyle tape, Mr. Doyle asks the student how he should correct his scooping problem. Answer is to correct the aiming point and Ben points outside of the student's left foot, to the student's astonishment.

Good stuff once again Jim.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If you have the "Confessions of a Former Flipper" video of Brians, watch it again and pay attention when he goes over aiming point.

Your aiming point for you hands should be left of your left foot FROM THE GOLFER'S VIEW. Thats very important. If "seems" like it is left of your left foot because you have axis tilt and are leaning to the right. Thus, why it seems its soooooooooo far in front of the ball. When if you looked in a mirror, you'd see it's not.

Again, see the Confessions Video or if you have NetFlix, rent the Mike Jacobs Explosive Golf DVD. It teaches Ben Doyles pattern and has a lot of TGM ideas that are VERY SIMPLIFIED. Especially taking your grip at impact fix and aiming point.

---------

Edit:

quote:my aiming point needs to be left of my left foot, not at my customary aiming point, back inside corner of the ball.

Your aiming point at the back inside corner of the ball isn't the idea of aiming point. That is just where you should hit the ball with the CLUBHEAD NOT THE HANDS.

Aiming point refers to where your HANDS are being AIMED so that the clubhead ends up where it should be.

Aiming points differ from club to club. If you understand Impact Fix, aiming point is established there. I once used aiming point as just a location outside my left leg which is fine for short irons but drivers and long irons will be closer to the ball. Impact Fix is a great way to establish all the important IMPACT alignments.

matt

New
I still don't see how keeping one ball position is superior to varying your ball position. It's an option, yes...

Anyhow aiming point can also be where you are directing pp3 thrust. So it could be the inside quadrant of the plane or anywhere else on the plane line.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by matt

I still don't see how keeping one ball position is superior to varying your ball position. It's an option, yes...

Anyhow aiming point can also be where you are directing pp3 thrust. So it could be the inside quadrant of the plane or anywhere else on the plane line.

where did i say it was superior?

matt

New
quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

Why do you feel one is better than the other? What's your arguement that a multiple ball position is superior?

Lynn takes the multiple ball position side of things, which therefore is what I believe Homer would take as well. I trust that. I can point you to the appropriate threads elsewhere if you wish.

DDL

New

Your aiming point at the back inside corner of the ball isn't the idea of aiming point. That is just where you should hit the ball with the CLUBHEAD NOT THE HANDS.

Aiming point refers to where your HANDS are being AIMED so that the clubhead ends up where it should be.

I never said anywhere that I use my clubhead in reference to aiming point. I always aim my hands. Directing PP#3 in a straight line towards the inside aft corner of the ball is a valid baseline aiming point, which as Matt said, Homer recommends, and Yoda and Chuck espouse on their forums.

However, Homer's other 'fallback' technique, impact hands location, and the procedure taught by Ben and Brian, might be better suited for me. Especially suited for those who are rotationally challenged.

quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

Aiming points differ from club to club.

Only if you vary ball position.

If you keep 1 ball position and vary the stance width, aiming point stays the same.

Well, actually Jim, you are wrong.

There is one aiming point position when the ball location varies.
The aiming point changes with a one ball fixed position due to the different club lengths.

Aiming point is established at impact fix; performed by feel and ‘trial by error’ to accommodate different hand speeds. There is a precision to the aiming point, more than mere clubhead lag with hands racing ahead of the clubhead at impact.

Aiming point allows total control to direct thrust to a specific point.

So, only by varying the ball position can you have one aiming point. Vary the aiming point and play a single ball position.

Play either way- just correctly.

BTW Homer preferred to vary the ball’s location. Back for short irons for more spin and bite and because the club dictates ball location.

holenone

Banned

They are both valid options...why do you feel multiple ball positions is superior vs adjusting your stance width?

There may or may not be a difference between the two methods. The fact that there is none in the Ben Doyle method defines his genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.