Arched wrist at the top of backswing and the New Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing around with the different left wrist positions at the top of my backswing, I realized if I erred on the side of more cup, the New Release was a thousand times easier to do. Coming from the old drag-the-handle school of thought, I had a very flat, if not arched wrist at the top. While working on the new release, I was still prone to going under plane and also shanking.

Well, today I tried a Freddie Couples cupped wrist and BAM, figured out the release. For me at least, having this cupped wrist keeps the clubhead in front of my at all times and when I do an "out toss" type move, there's no re routing involved. I just throw the clubhead out, my lead arm somehow steepens without me thinking about it, and I hit it flush.

When I had the arched wrist I had to not just throw the clubhead out, but also re route the clubhead in front of my body. If I didn't do both at the same time, an open clubface with a pretty inside to out path met the ball. Not pretty, and pretty damn frustrating.

Anyway, wanted to share this with you guys! (Am I on the right track? Because it sure feels like it)

I would say you are on the right track. During the take away I really make a point to keep the left wrist stable. Not frozen just stable

S

SteveT

I would say you are on the right track. During the take away I really make a point to keep the left wrist stable. Not frozen just stable

What's the difference between "frozen" and "just stable".....:confused:

Is frozen a cold feeling and stable a solid feeling... and how do you apply one and not the other...?

As to the OP, I find exactly the same thing as to cupped versus arched lead wrist at the top. For whatever it's worth, I have a theory as to why it works. As you mentioned, the club stays more "in front" when you cup the wrist, almost as if it's "pre-tumbled" a little. To the contrary, I find that early arching tends to immediately suck the club head inside and behind me, and get it on he wrong side of my hands. Think Soft Draw Lagging Clubhead Takeaway (cupped wrist, club never passes behind the hands)....it's just easier to toss the club and go normal from there, at least for me.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
As with everything, whatever works. As long as the cup in your left wrist doesn't take too much bend out of your right wrist. Because that's the only thing you have to tumble with.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Tumble from laid-off is not as easy for some, and easier for others.

If you go cross-the-line, you have to reverse tumble first.

Here is the classic tumble from laid-off:

fowlerlefttumble.jpg

Tumble from laid-off is not as easy for some, and easier for others.

If you go cross-the-line, you have to reverse tumble first.

Just to clarify........you don't consider someone who is attempting more of a SD backswing, but ends up with the club more "in between their arms," a la Ideas about the Release, to be too much across the line? That's more orthodox, right?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Could you explain that? I try to get across the line and feel it's a "pre-tumbled" position Just drop the hands and pull them slightly away from the target line.

Several across the line people I've spoken to do not, I repeat, do not feel or work on tumble, it happens naturally or even too much so they get the club across the line. This helps give them some room to back it up to the plane so they feel good with going right to the ball.

If I were doing a proper release, tumbling from a laid off position should happen pretty naturally. It's the times that I don't do the release properly that gets me into a lot of trouble.

As dbl said, I no longer worry about tumbling since it's already set. I just drop my arms and throw the clubhead out just a bit. The clubface comes in too closed at times, but that's just practice...

dbl

New
L2L and KS, thanks. Maybe I get it. I used to, pre Brian 2011, be laid off and flat...and gravity (and all factors) got me quite further reverse tumbling. Across the line helps me eliminate part of those factors, but I probably have others still getting me on plane that I'm not aware of.

ej20

New
Could you explain that? I try to get across the line and feel it's a "pre-tumbled" position Just drop the hands and pull them slightly away from the target line.

Not Brian but I think when you are "across the line" you are in an over tumbled position,not pre-tumbled.That's why Brian said you need to reverse tumble first and in my opinion you better do that before the hands get below shoulder height otherwise you will reverse tumble all the way to impact.

However,"whirly birdieing" the club to start the transition is a tough move and it better be instinctive.The natural instinct is the opposite and that is the cause of the steep transition.If you have a tendency to transition steep with the club,then I don't suggest an across the line position at the top.

Laid off at the top and then tumbling into impact like Ricky Fowler is a perfectly valid pattern if it suits your natural tendencies.The key to being laid off at the top is not to tumble immediately otherwise you might tumble too early and come OTT.You need to maintain the laid off position for a fraction of a second first in the transition and then you can tumble into impact with a vertical hand path without fear of being too steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.