are there accepted golf definitions for "rhythm" and "tempo"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i see these terms used a lot, but sometimes it is interchangeably, and i'm not sure if i truly understand what each mean in a golf context.

from thefreedictionary.com:

rhythm: Movement or variation characterized by the regular recurrence or alternation of different quantities or conditions

tempo: A characteristic rate or rhythm of activity; a pace

would rhythm be defined as repeatability of the body movements from golf swing to golf swing? from what i can gather, if one can square up the clubface consistently, he very likely has good rhythm. could you argue that a repeatable golf swing, by definition, is rhythmic?

i guess it's possible to have less than ideal rhythm and still square it up consistently if you have talent enough to feel the clubface and adjust at speed. but this would probably be a tough way to get the job done.

and tempo i guess would be a measure of the time it takes to get from one part of the swing to another? ie: from initial backswing move to impact?

so ernie and fred are slow and smooth. some (including snead) would say hogan was more abrupt. who cares? is one more likely to be repeatable? is there any qualitative difference or is it just that smooth swings are more pleasing to the eye because they look "effortless"?

i would argue a hacker is very abrupt because his swing is bad. his swing isn't necessarily bad because he's abrupt. if he tried to make a slow, smooth swing (like his practice swing), the clubface would come to impact 10 degrees open.

Last edited:
Tempo is how long the swing takes. Likes Beats Per Minute in music.
Rythym is "keeping the beat". Generally, the backswing should take 3 beats, the downswing 1. An even rate of acceleration form start-up to line-up is ideal rythym.
Both affect release timing.

Timing of what?

Movement.

If any degree of mastery is to be attained timing must exist.

All there to control the geometry of the club, and create power.

To score.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1VkA8HoB5m8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like My Main Man.

Is there any credence to the Tour Tempo tones? I seem to recall Art mentioning them, or responding to a question about them. If there is, then my backswing is often too slow for 3:1.

This guy's tempo is like 20:1. One of the most powerful and fastest swings from a non-long drive competitor I've ever seen. 120mph is taking it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.