arrrgggg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry I just need to vent this.

have been making some steady improvements lately, with the occasional ahah moment, but today i think ive come to realise my limit. My left arm is 'spacko' and is making it next to impossible for me to maintain the flat left wrist past impact. If you hold both arms out infront of you as if you were going to clap, then twist both outwards so that the palms are facing the sky, well my left forearm/wrist/hand rotates about 1/10th of the way, thats it [xx(]

It makes sence that this would impede my ability to rotate instead of bend after seperation right?

:([V][xx(]:([}:)]

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by nevermind

sorry I just need to vent this.

have been making some steady improvements lately, with the occasional ahah moment, but today i think ive come to realise my limit. My left arm is 'spacko' and is making it next to impossible for me to maintain the flat left wrist past impact. If you hold both arms out infront of you as if you were going to clap, then twist both outwards so that the palms are facing the sky, well my left forearm/wrist/hand rotates about 1/10th of the way, thats it [xx(]

It makes sence that this would impede my ability to rotate instead of bend after seperation right?

:([V][xx(]:([}:)]

Limited range of Hand/Forearm rotation has nothing to do with bending your Left Wrist. The amount of Hand/Forearm rotation is the "hinging" action of the swing -- how much the clubface closes and/or lays back through the impact interval. If you can't use a "full roll" of horizontal hinging, then you can use the "no roll" of angled hinging.

There are too many reasons why your Left Wrist may be breaking down to go into here. You may be "steering". You may be thinking that Hand rotation creates power -- it doesn't. You get plenty of rotation from your pivot. Just let your pivot rotation and folding left elbow take care of bringing the club up to Finish.

Angled hinging still requires roll right? I said what I said because it feels like the club is going to overtake the hands, and it's either going to do this thanks to rotation, or via bending of the left wrist.

nm,

Yes, angled hinging uses a half-roll, which produces a no-roll FEEL. You are correct, after separation, either rotate the left arm and preserve the flat left wrist, let the left wrist bend(Couples), or use an abreviated follow through(stinger).

rwh

New
nevermind,

Do you use a Swinging procedure or a Hitting procedure? If you were wearing a watch with the face centered on the forearm, where would the face of your watch be looking at impact for your standard 5 iron shot?

I'm fairly sure that I swing. Thanks to this and a few other sites I now have a flat left wrist at impact, at a guess i'd say a watch would be facing about 2o'clock, target being 12. If I cant rotate much with the left I guess I need to decide wether to just roll with the right and let the left bend, or stop them both as soon as I can, like MizJoe said...Couples always has been my favourite :)

OLD ------> WORK IN PROGGRESS (think i was trying for the abreviated follow through on this occasion)
old2.jpg
-->
klklkl.jpg

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If you are a swinger then you shouldn't have to physically roll, it should happen due to the centripetal force. So if you can't keep the flat wrist at least until after the swivel, then you are doing something wrong.

I think I'm a swinger, and rolling has come naturally to me, only it's always been a roll of the right and bend of the left.

I think I may have jumped the gun a little with this thread, now im thinking that my 'bung' arm may make it more awkward but not impossible to keep the left flat, through to the arms straight position, it's just a tough thing to ingrain. Have been doing a lot of slow and medium swings today and think that eventually I'll get it, my left forearm/wrist is bloody sore tho.

thanks all.

Jim,

Centrifugal force alone won't make the roll happen correctly for many. It takes a predisposition of the mind for it to happen, and a lot of slow motion rehearsal.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

Jim,

Centrifugal force alone won't make the roll happen correctly for many. It takes a predisposition of the mind for it to happen, and a lot of slow motion rehearsal.

True...it was late when i posted that. It took me a long time to ingrain the roll and not let it bend anymore.

I hit punch shot after punch shot with abbreviated followthrough's looking at my left wrist and making sure it was flat

Status
Not open for further replies.