ATL Lesson Review - long post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I had my third lesson with Brian yesterday at Reunion in Braselton, GA.

First off it was nice meeting Ryan Smither. He was giving a lesson to Mrs. Fabersham yesterday, so I didn't get to talk to him very much, he was trying to get her to hit it in the air. I hope it went well :)

Brian took a look at my pattern, I had totally done what I was supposed to after last years lesson. I have gotten my right arm underneath and was doing a lot of good things.

As usual, it took about 5-10 minutes for Brian to get me where he wanted me to go. Which is basically the "soft fade" pattern with a couple of adjustments for my pattern.

On video I could see that I was still keeping too much weight on the left foot in the backswing, even though I had a look of leaning right, this caused my swing to be shorter than it really should have been. I was also turning my shoulders a touch too flat and had a bit too much lift with my arms in the backswing.

Brian physically put me in the top of backswing position he wanted and immediately I felt more natural. More weight was on the left side, my head was more still and my shoulder tilt steeper. He also put my arms more "across the chest" with a lot less lift. This made the entire pattern feel not only more comfortable but more powerful as well.

On the downswing, I have a little dive move that Brian wanted to try to get rid of but I hit it better when I did it, so he made an adjustment with my downswing that accomodated it and I hit it better than I ever have.

The above my friends is teaching...taking something I do naturally and customizing a pattern that uses it..I immediately feel more comfortable with this pattern and did I say I hit it amazing? I was truly impressed with yesterdays lesson as I have been the previous two.

Thanks Brian it was enjoyable as always.

You don't hear much about "soft fade" around here yet. I can't wait until it starts coming out. Nothing looks better than I nice high fade. I just started working with NHA so hopefully my fade comes back.

Sorry to hjack...

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Did you hook before....underplane? If so, did you want a fade? Sounds like a great lesson.

Not underplane, but I was a pull hooker, my right arm used to get too "on top" and Brian got me into a deeper pitch position last year.

I used to swing really far to the right as well. I don't want to fade it as much as I just really don't want it to go left. A fairly straight ball that falls right is perfect.

Brian said he would post one of my swings. That might give you a better perspective.

I had my third lesson with Brian yesterday at Reunion in Braselton, GA.

First off it was nice meeting Ryan Smither. He was giving a lesson to Mrs. Fabersham yesterday, so I didn't get to talk to him very much, he was trying to get her to hit it in the air. I hope it went well :)

Brian took a look at my pattern, I had totally done what I was supposed to after last years lesson. I have gotten my right arm underneath and was doing a lot of good things.

As usual, it took about 5-10 minutes for Brian to get me where he wanted me to go. Which is basically the "soft fade" pattern with a couple of adjustments for my pattern.

On video I could see that I was still keeping too much weight on the left foot in the backswing, even though I had a look of leaning right, this caused my swing to be shorter than it really should have been. I was also turning my shoulders a touch too flat and had a bit too much lift with my arms in the backswing.

Brian physically put me in the top of backswing position he wanted and immediately I felt more natural. More weight was on the left side, my head was more still and my shoulder tilt steeper. He also put my arms more "across the chest" with a lot less lift. This made the entire pattern feel not only more comfortable but more powerful as well.

On the downswing, I have a little dive move that Brian wanted to try to get rid of but I hit it better when I did it, so he made an adjustment with my downswing that accomodated it and I hit it better than I ever have.

The above my friends is teaching...taking something I do naturally and customizing a pattern that uses it..I immediately feel more comfortable with this pattern and did I say I hit it amazing? I was truly impressed with yesterdays lesson as I have been the previous two.

Thanks Brian it was enjoyable as always.

Sounds great. Brian definitely gives you your money's worth during a lesson. Out of curiosity, what's the downswing adjustment you made to accomodate the dive? (I assume you mean an upper body dive, correct?)

Status
Not open for further replies.