Backsping RPM on irons,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my limited golf knowledge reservoir of considerable dinky size, i think i have by now some basic numbers on rpm on the driver. my kid recently hit some irons on a machine and she asked me what each iron's rpm should be. i did not look so good. Should be? i have no idea!

is there a reference site with some basic numbers on iron rpm? what things to watch out for when looking at those numbers? any difference between hitting indoor on mat vs hitting outside on grass?

thanks!

opps, title should read backspin.

Last edited:
A general ballpark is the iron x 1,000...

5 iron = 5,000
9 iron = 9,000
SW = SW,000;)

Last edited:
ok, here is another question for the informed.

can people share some info on how side spin affects back spin for irons? how to interpret a backspin reading when side spin is also rather high?

can people share some info on how side spin affects back spin for irons? how to interpret a backspin reading when side spin is also rather high?

I am no expert that is for sure, but here is my best guess. I would think that backspin would be deminished as sidespin increases because sidespin is induced by a glancing blow to the golf ball. Don't know if I am right or wrong... just a theory.

sidespin doesn't exist. a crooked shot still only has backspin, its just that the angle of the backspin isn't going down the target line.

that being said, a leftward axis would probably have less spin (b/c of the delofted face) and a rightward axis more spin (more lofted face).

In reality there is only backspin, the axis on which the ball (back)spins however can be tilted. Some launch monitors however will not use spin-axis data but convert those two values (backspin & axis) into
- Totalspin (read reall backspin)
- Backspin.
- Sidespin.

So with this in mind back to the question : When the axis is tilted more then 2 degree the ball can not stay on a straight trajectory.

PS This might not be correct moment to also mention rifle spin measured by 3trak :D

PS This might not be correct moment to also mention rifle spin measured by 3trak :D

Yeah, 3trak says their LM records the ball spinning in 3 directions (back, side, rifle).

And Utley says putts roll with hook spin and slice spin.

Still a long ways to go... :rolleyes:

" what things to watch out for when looking at those numbers? "

I don't understand the usefulness of trying to compare your kid's spin numbers
to adult spin numbers. Actually, I'm not sure I understand why backspin numbers, other
than Driver, are very useful.

I can see a downside, in that your kid could end up striving to some sort of spin targets with no chance of getting there.

actually it is more innocent or ignorant than that, depending on how you look at it.:)

was in a shop and they have a simulator (not trackman). after each shot, there is a screen of data. among others, there is a category called back spin and another called side spin.

i am pretty sure what back spin means, not sure what side spin means, and certainly not sure if and how those 2 items are related in terms of their effect on final distance. reading some of the above posts, i take it the term side spin is misleading or is a misnomer. i assume that machine uses side spin to indicate a path component.

here is another question: indoor mat vs outdoor turf,,,assuming the same shot, is the backspin the same? i ask this because i am not sure if the indoor mat being more bouncy and resilient may create a different setup from outside grassy turf. at the moment of impact, assuming a perfect downward strike, is there a difference between a softer vs a harder surface that the ball sits on? in reality, i can think of a deadpan vs a fluffy fairway bunker shot. in other words, does the texture of the surface that ball sits on affect the backspin production?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.