Backswing makes the downswing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

joep

New
Is this true? I`m just a hacker who for 20ysr played with different backswings and never found one that was comfortable with . I tried left shoulder ,r,shoulder ,l hip, righthip, belly button, l hand r, hand, b of neck,f of neck,sternum etc. Brian mentioned just get back to the ball. My question is, is there a right way or anyway. What do most of you use? This may sound silly but this is how screwed up I am. Thanks if anyone answers this...

Burner

New
Put yourself into what you consider to be an ideal end of back swing position.
Swing slowly down to impact, stop and then swing slowly back up to where you started from.
Repeat often and perform the manoeuvre before every shot you make. End of problem.

hp12c

New
Is this true? I`m just a hacker who for 20ysr played with different backswings and never found one that was comfortable with . I tried left shoulder ,r,shoulder ,l hip, righthip, belly button, l hand r, hand, b of neck,f of neck,sternum etc. Brian mentioned just get back to the ball. My question is, is there a right way or anyway. What do most of you use? This may sound silly but this is how screwed up I am. Thanks if anyone answers this...
Lets see theres the rigth way,wrong way and my/your way, which is which, from your post I would say you have tried other peoples BS and none work and or u think u are doing other peoples BS and its not working. Im not and instructor but from what I can deduce( ooh big word) from being here awhile is the BS should be one in which facilitates a good stike on the ball and which has fewest moves/compensation from BS to DS to ball. To get the club in a good position on the BS I would suggest u private message one of the Academy instructors and ask what can be done for you via video lesson, in person etc, etc, etc. Hope this helps.

dbl

New
How about a SD backswing? It prevents lots of maladies and sets up well for an IATR influenced downswing. I have a desired top of backswing position, so I and maybe you want to choose a BS that gets us there.

art

New

Dear joep,

I took the time to read several of your posts over the past 6 months or so, and it is obvious that you would like to improve your stated 14-15 handicap, and drive 300, rather than 200 yards as you tried by playing from your friends drives, AND PAR'D OUT.

Also, if I read right, you are 76 years YOUNG, and have been taking lessons, and working hard to improve. All of the above background inspired me to answer for my passion in life is to help golfers improve by injecting just a little science into their golf swings, preferably through their teachers. So if possible, take this to your teacher for comment and hopefully implementation.

From what you have described, I conclude that you have NOT BEEN ABLE to find a comfortable back swing. I have spent the better part of these last 5 years looking for HOW AN ERROR STARTS, AND HOW IT PROPAGATES from the back swing, through the rest of the swing until impact.

A clear candidate for developing errors that get bigger is a FAST, ENERGETIC back swing, where the rotational speeds involved make TIMING and an efficient 'kinematic sequence' impossible. So the science-based requirements for a back swing that will give the downswing the best opportunity to develop maximum and REPEATABLE club head speed are (1) Replicate YOUR NATURAL RHYTHM AND TEMPO, and (2) keep the lower body dynamically balanced, hopefully using BBKIB.

If you set up this way, after your rear hip is back, you only need to RELEASE the knees, to complete the back swing, and without any voluntary 'instructions' proceed into the transition and down swing into a dynamically BALANCED, AND NATURALLY TIMED swing.

Joep, I too have enjoyed just 2 more years than you, but will attest that this simple back swing release minimizes errors, and results in more distance and accuracy.

As the 'ad' says, "try it you'll like it"

Regards,
art

joep

New
Burner I`ll try that it makes sense,thanks.. Art I too am italian not that it means anything. But thanks for your always valuable inputs on the golf swing. I tried the bbkib backswing and worked at times but never really got into it. I`ll give it more effort. Thanks for your input for me and all you do for others. I may be 77 but I`m young 77and still trying to better myself, hey why not.

joep

New
The point I was trying to make was getting into the right position at the top so I can come down on the right hand path...

At the top, hands are higher than your head, club is level with the ground or even a bit past parallel, if you dropped the club the clubshaft would fall between your shoulder and your ear, left shoulder pointing behind the ball.

A little birdie also told me it might help if you think of your backswing being a mirror image of your finish. Go back down the same way you went up.

The point I was trying to make was getting into the right position at the top so I can come down on the right hand path...

something worth working on with your coach might be finding and feeling your optimal position at the top of the swing, and then come up with a backswing that helps you get there most comfortably and consistently.

To answer the title of this post, 'backswing makes the downswing?', I'd quote Brian Manzella to give my opinion and say Ah, No.
When you are clear about how you'd like to move through the Impact zone, you'll feel like you can use all kinds of backswings and they'll all feel comfortable...or you may not even be aware of how you take it back.

leon

New
How about the opposite. What backswing moves prevent an efficient downswing from being possible.

The latest ideas seem to suggest you can make pretty much any backswing and still make a fair pass at the ball on the way down. But I assume it is any backswing 'within reason'. In which case, how are we defining what is within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.