Backswing Tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should one have different backswing swings (relatively speaking) for a shorter club than a longer club, say, an 8-iron vs. a Driver?

I've been struggling with my longer clubs lately, especially since I've tried to speed up my backswing and overall tempo. I felt I was being toooo slow and deliberate. A faster 8-iron swing has yielded much better results... except when I pull the daylights out of it... goes a loooong way... but, waaaay long left! :eek:. Too bad I can't seem to get that distance from a regular shot. :(

Should one have different backswing swings (relatively speaking) for a shorter club than a longer club, say, an 8-iron vs. a Driver?

I've been struggling with my longer clubs lately, especially since I've tried to speed up my backswing and overall tempo. I felt I was being toooo slow and deliberate. A faster 8-iron swing has yielded much better results... except when I pull the daylights out of it... goes a loooong way... but, waaaay long left! :eek:. Too bad I can't seem to get that distance from a regular shot. :(

There is a book called "Tour Tempo" and the theory they advance is that all full swings should take the same amount of time. It is a three to one ratio of the backswing (3 units of time) to the downswing (1 unit). This was discovered by one of the authors who was I believe a video editor. He was editing slow motion video of golf swings and noticed that nearly every pro's backswing took 3 times as many frames as the downswing took. This has been verified by some professors at Yale in an independent study.

The other thing that they have noticed is that pro's swings are actually FASTER than most hackers swings, and that the ratio in most amateur's swings are larger (4:1 or bigger) and more inconsistent.

hp12c

New

Hey KGlennkoe, Look at this Bman video and see if helps.
Art

YouTube - ‪Acceleration Show Part 4 Brian Manzella‬‏

There is a book called "Tour Tempo" and the theory they advance is that all full swings should take the same amount of time. It is a three to one ratio of the backswing (3 units of time) to the downswing (1 unit). This was discovered by one of the authors who was I believe a video editor. He was editing slow motion video of golf swings and noticed that nearly every pro's backswing took 3 times as many frames as the downswing took. This has been verified by some professors at Yale in an independent study.

The other thing that they have noticed is that pro's swings are actually FASTER than most hackers swings, and that the ratio in most amateur's swings are larger (4:1 or bigger) and more inconsistent.

I spent a day with John Novosel Jr. last year learning his tour tempo and it is an amazing thing to experience. It is not mechanics or anything related to them but it can really get you back into the "Zone" if your feeling goes away.

I looked at some of my most recent videos and timed the backswing/downswing. My ratios were usually less than 3:1. Could be the backswing tempo is OK, but I'm too darn slow with the downswing. Achieving a faster downswing would get that ratio closer to 3:1. I know I have a very slow swing speed.. have been trying to do something about that for some time now.

I looked at some of my most recent videos and timed the backswing/downswing. My ratios were usually less than 3:1. Could be the backswing tempo is OK, but I'm too darn slow with the downswing. Achieving a faster downswing would get that ratio closer to 3:1. I know I have a very slow swing speed.. have been trying to do something about that for some time now.
I sincerely don't think you can realistically measure that without the tones. the book comes with a disk. Get the book and put it on an ipod. it will be worth it.

I sincerely don't think you can realistically measure that without the tones. the book comes with a disk. Get the book and put it on an ipod. it will be worth it.

Sure you can, if you've got the right software, you just count the frames in the backswing and downswing. It of course helps if it's shot at a higher frame rate. I thought that's how the theory came about, from a video editor? But I think you're right as far as the actual practicing. I'm sure the tones would be a huge help. When you're used to one tempo even a minor change feels totally foreign.

My swing analysis software, cSwing, shows elasped time all the way to thousandths of a second. Plus, I can run the video as slow as 1/64th with start/stop whenever I want. I used 1/8th and noted the elapsed time. Close enough for a quick review after reading your responses.

I will look for the book this weekend. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.