Backswing Too Wide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello out there,

I am interested in getting some thoughts about backswing width and what the most appropriate way to determine it for an individual's swing. Lately I have been having trouble shifting my weight from right foot to left in the transition and have come up with a hypothesis that my backswing is too wide which is pulling my upper body too far over to the right side, making it very difficult to shift back in time.

When I take left hand only swings, I notice that my left hand does not nearly extend as far as it would had I been swinging with both hands.

When I swing normally thinking about narrowing my backswing arc (trying to emulate the position of where my left handed swings were) I seem to make better contact.

Note: this also has really helped my backswing move right up the inclined shaft plane and not underneath it.

I look forward to hearing yours thoughts.

Evan

gb,

Many instances of a "too wide" backswing are caused by the old "slow and low" methodoligy...you will nearly always sway to the right...
You could alweays try and make your weight go diagonally backwards, onto your right heel, instead of "to the right," or your right instep.....
Experiment with making your first D/S move an attempt to raise your right heel while the weight is on it (at the top).....
Your body will react by transferring the weight to the left foot, as it thinks you are "walking"....

At the same time keep your swing center stable....

Here's an interesting question,

does anybody think that there is a maximum angle that should not be surpassed when looking at spine tilt to the right from address to the top of the backswing?

Did that make sene to anybody?

It might be interesting, if you had a reliable 6d of f way of doing it. Anybody out there have this technology readily available?

Last edited:
It might be interesting, if you had a reliable 6d of f way of doing it. Anybody out there have this technology readily available?

I think you'll find it is self-limiting, i.e. if you tilt too much it will have the natural effect of lowering the swing center (as your left side will shorten too much) and you'll dip....ideally your lower spine will point somewehere just outside the right foot about 1/3 of the way into the backswing...

Hello out there,

I am interested in getting some thoughts about backswing width and what the most appropriate way to determine it for an individual's swing. Lately I have been having trouble shifting my weight from right foot to left in the transition and have come up with a hypothesis that my backswing is too wide which is pulling my upper body too far over to the right side, making it very difficult to shift back in time.

When I take left hand only swings, I notice that my left hand does not nearly extend as far as it would had I been swinging with both hands.

When I swing normally thinking about narrowing my backswing arc (trying to emulate the position of where my left handed swings were) I seem to make better contact.

Note: this also has really helped my backswing move right up the inclined shaft plane and not underneath it.

Evan

If your problem is getting too much off the ball (on your right) on the backswing, have you simply tried stabilizing the base of your neck on the backswing? I have the same tendency (a small sway to the right) and simply feeling like the tag in my shirt stays in place on the backswing seems to do the trick. Ryan Smither taught me that :D.

I think you'll find it is self-limiting, i.e. if you tilt too much it will have the natural effect of lowering the swing center (as your left side will shorten too much) and you'll dip....ideally your lower spine will point somewehere just outside the right foot about 1/3 of the way into the backswing...

I'm not sure I understand, which center??..you think this technology cannot help anyone? If you tilt too much for who's pattern? Do tell.

I'm not sure I understand, which center??..you think this technology cannot help anyone? If you tilt too much for who's pattern? Do tell.

vj,
There is only one swing center...as described closely by holeout....in fact it equates to being 2" inside your neck in front of the 7th cervical bone (the big lump that sticks out at the top of your spine)....

What is "6d of f" BTW...

Last edited:
Really cool stuff here guys. I'm interested in hearing more about maintaing swing center. I have always had a monstrous turn with a shift over my right foot. I feel like if I stay more centered, I will be leaving myself open to reverse pivoting. How can I stay more centered but ensure that my weight moves properly?

Really cool stuff here guys. I'm interested in hearing more about maintaing swing center. I have always had a monstrous turn with a shift over my right foot. I feel like if I stay more centered, I will be leaving myself open to reverse pivoting. How can I stay more centered but ensure that my weight moves properly?

gb,

Sometimes in golf you have to do one thing to create another.....
Fortunately, with the swing center, all you have to do is concentrate on keeping it stable. When you do your basic address, you are in reality creating a measurement from your swing center to the ball....The objective then (initially) is to keep that swing center position from address until after impact....

If you need a picture of weight shift, relative to your swing center, just imagine the action of a large bell....the bell hinge at the top is your swing center....the wide part of the bottom of the bell can be equated to your hips..
On the backswing, the bottom of the bell swings to the right (thus transferring your weight) and on the downswing the bell swings to the left, again transferring your weight.....but note that the swing center always remains in the same place..

Now you head, which is above the swing center, can also move (tilt) from left to right and right to left ...

Reverse pivoting shouldn't be an issue if you pivot around the (stable) top of the right femur bone on the backswing, and the left femur on the down/forward swing...

Last edited:
My thoughts on your comments...

Hello out there,

Evan

Evan,

The width of your backswing has nothing to do with you not being able to get your weight back to your left foot.

The reason you can transfer your weight easily when you make "left arm only" swings is simple. You don't cast or over accelerate the club away from the target with your left hand. With your left hand, you gain the benefits of angular momentum and the expanding angle of the left arm and shaft get their heaviest toward low point and pull you to your left side.

Your two handed swing obviously gets the club orbiting too early during the downswing (over accelerating/casting) and the club's momentum pulls your weight away from the target with no chance of finishing on your left side.

If you haven't see Brian's video Confessions of a Former Flipper, you would benefit from understanding the hand path in the downswing. It's way more "straight line" than circular.

Circular back

Straight line down; the round off happens when the club tries to catch up with the hands and gets in line with the left arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.