Balance training aids - helpful or useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

We've all learned from art that balance is very important. If the body detects that you are out of balance it will take measures to ensure that you stay stable and these corrections might cause wayward shots etc (at least that is my understanding, art please correct me if I am wrong). So ideally we want to stay balanced during the swing. We know bbkib can help you with that. What about these balance boards, balance rods etc you can buy? I can't decide whether they are useful or actually harmful. I guess they can help your body to stay stable even under difficult situations (the board basically introduces a instability) but these corrective measures of the body are somethings we are trying to avoid. So are these training aids useless or helpful? Art, you as our resident dynamic stability expert, what is your take on it?

Regards

ParHunter

Try these two...:)

GD-JOHNSON-COVER1.jpg
gd-09-97-johnson-bg-800x4502-300x168.jpg

Hi,

We've all learned from art that balance is very important. If the body detects that you are out of balance it will take measures to ensure that you stay stable and these corrections might cause wayward shots etc (at least that is my understanding, art please correct me if I am wrong). So ideally we want to stay balanced during the swing. We know bbkib can help you with that. I can't decide whether they are useful or actually harmful. I guess they can help your body to stay stable even under difficult situations (the board basically introduces a instability) but these corrective measures of the body are somethings we are trying to avoid. So are these training aids useless or helpful? Art, you as our resident dynamic stability expert, what is your take on it?

Regards

ParHunter

Par, my chiropractor has me hit chip and short pitch shots off a half roller.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=half%20foam%20roller&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahalf%20foam%20roller&page=1

Eventually, the goal is to be able to hit half to three-quarters wedges from a full roller. A little early for me to assess if there is any advantage, but these things are so cheap, I figure no harm giving it a shot.

hp12c

New
Hi,

We've all learned from art that balance is very important. If the body detects that you are out of balance it will take measures to ensure that you stay stable and these corrections might cause wayward shots etc (at least that is my understanding, art please correct me if I am wrong). So ideally we want to stay balanced during the swing. We know bbkib can help you with that. What about these balance boards, balance rods etc you can buy? I can't decide whether they are useful or actually harmful. I guess they can help your body to stay stable even under difficult situations (the board basically introduces a instability) but these corrective measures of the body are somethings we are trying to avoid. So are these training aids useless or helpful? Art, you as our resident dynamic stability expert, what is your take on it?

Regards

ParHunter

Ok seriously, no joking around. I first had to see/find where my unbalance was happenning. BS, DS, Finish where was it happening. For me it was at the finish, I would step with my right foot out like taking a step forward, easy fix, at set up I was getting my noggin to far over my feet and as I swung the movement plus my big noggin pulled mo more out ot the ball the club coming around saved me a little but still had to take that step. So now my I set up is better thanks to a little device I made and also going to some downhill lies and swinging, if my nogging is over my toes on a steep donwhill lie im gonna do more than step with one foot. Thats all I got.

Ok seriously, no joking around. I first had to see/find where my unbalance was happenning. BS, DS, Finish where was it happening. For me it was at the finish, I would step with my right foot out like taking a step forward, easy fix, at set up I was getting my noggin to far over my feet and as I swung the movement plus my big noggin pulled mo more out ot the ball the club coming around saved me a little but still had to take that step. So now my I set up is better thanks to a little device I made and also going to some downhill lies and swinging, if my nogging is over my toes on a steep donwhill lie im gonna do more than step with one foot. Thats all I got.

How did you figure out where the imbalance was introduced?

I think my question regarding the balance training aids is whether they get you to swing more balanced (good) or whether they simply teach you to stay in balance when imbalances are introduced (not so good as these corrections can mess with the swing)

leon

New
Try these two...:)

GD-JOHNSON-COVER1.jpg
gd-09-97-johnson-bg-800x4502-300x168.jpg

Surely once you've broken 80 with no hook or slice and lowered your score more with better balance you'll never need to read another edition again. Unless they are just useless 'tips'? I'm intrigued to know what else DJ can do though. Does p96 feature nudity? :)

art

New
Hi,

Regards

ParHunter

Dear parhunter, and others ,

I don't know how I missed this a few days aga, because just about that time I had just returned from The National University Golf Academy in Carlsbad CA, where Dr. David Wurzer, a Master PGA Instructor and Associate Dean and I were talking about the importance of balance. He went to the 'training' room and came back with a 'half roller', and 2 approximately 1 foot diameter what I called filled 'thich plastic', water bags, about 1-2 inches thick, smooth on one side, and kind of soft spikes all over the other side to grip the ground/grass etc.

I took time to describe IMO, these safer devices to CONTRAST STANDING on a 40 inch diameter exercise ball, or attempting a ONE LEGGED SQUAT. Clearly, these latter examples from Golf Digest need PROFESSIONAL TRAINERS OVER SITE, and I NEVER WOULD SUGGEST DOING ANYTHING LIKE THAT from a forum like this. IMO, you MUST be at least an elite, AND COMPETING golfer for that level of SERIOUS BODY TRAINING.

And that is my POINT, those devices and exercises are for BODY TRAINING AND FITNESS, regarding balance.

The devices Dr.David Wurzer brought out were also for training and fitness, but more on the lines of PRACTICE DEVICES for inclusion into your back yard sessions.

Thanks parhunter for the compliments about my interest and knowledge regarding dynamic balance, BUT clearly, BBKIB is meant to be used assuming it is PRACTICED at the driving range, and carried on to the golf course as a HABIT CHANGER, and not as a FITNESS FUNCTION to improve the old habit. IMO, the old habit of most golfers DYNAMIC BALANCE IS INADEQUATE to play good golf.

So, finally, please go for 'safer' devices and exercises that will help you improve the REALITIES of non-level lies, and also minimally 'tax' your ability to STAY QUIET during all golf swings, and please USE BBKIB to make it a HABIT NOT FOR JUST DYNAMIC BALANCE, but as I have said in a few other posts, to (1) provide a consistent starting point, (2) pre-activate important muscle slings, (3),improve stretch shorten cycles, and (4), improve YOUR kinematic sequence and overall timing of every golf swing.

Thanks for asking.

Hi Art,

thanks for your answer, I am already using BBKIB not only in practise but on the course as well.

I think my question regarding the balance training aids is whether they get you to swing more balanced (good) or whether they simply teach you to stay in balance when imbalances are introduced (not so good as these corrections can mess with the swing)

I just wanted to know whether using these training aids (not the ball) help you to swing more balanced (no need for the body to do 'emergency' corrections to keep your balance) or whether they train your body to better correct imbalances (using 'emergency' corrections which can also lead to mis-hits). In the later case it seems that using these training aids won't help you (at least not with your golf swing).

Status
Not open for further replies.