Ball flight question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Well, I posted this a moment ago, and its since been removed? I can only think in error, as its a genuine question from someone new wanting to learn..

Anyway, my question was essentially what factors cause a 'penetrating' ball flight? Having just seen my first tour event up close and personal, the way the ball launches off the face is just totally different to anything I've produced (or seen around the course!)..I would think forward lean, but heard reference here to this not being as important as once thought?

Is a higher 'smash factor' (is this another word for compression?) the reason? I can understand the ball drawing/fading with the D-plane video and discussion, but not sure about this one..

Edit: Account question resolved, thanks :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Well, I posted this a moment ago, and its since been removed? I can only think in error, as its a genuine question from someone new wanting to learn..

Anyway, my question was essentially what factors cause a 'penetrating' ball flight? Having just seen my first tour event up close and personal, the way the ball launches off the face is just totally different to anything I've produced (or seen around the course!)..I would think forward lean, but heard reference here to this not being as important as once thought?

Is a higher 'smash factor' (is this another word for compression?) the reason? I can understand the ball drawing/fading with the D-plane video and discussion, but not sure about this one..

ps. for admins:
If this is in violation of some rule, please let me know (a PM?). As someone who has purchased most of Brian's videos I was a little dismayed to be 'banned forever' for posting this earlier. Maybe some confusion? If its a stupid question then colour me stupid, but its certainly not malicious in intent :confused:

I'm thinking it has to do with a combination of solid contact, shaft lean, angle of attack and clubhead speed. Get those variables at or close to "tour average" along with similar equipment specs. and you have yourself tour quality ball flight. Really easy to say right :p

Less Spin Loft is another way of putting it; that'd be a small negative Vertical Path/AoA (like -2 or -3) with a low Vertical Face/Dynamic Loft.

dbl

New
I think Brian's current M.O. is to take whatever pattern you come to him with, and tweak stuff so you GET that at impact.

Less Spin Loft is another way of putting it; that'd be a small negative Vertical Path/AoA (like -2 or -3) with a low Vertical Face/Dynamic Loft.

Okay, so to clarify (for others too)..

This image is from a trackman newsletter:

pdcyiYETwZzlFbiG6u-xHINBjIZieyLihoHyniGRAt9_PA_fgEj7vnW5mSvti66qWqdnxeI-K9TgADIUFX2U7w60LA=s512

Both these shots would produce the same flight characteristics? Of course, one has less loft than the other, but the same spin loft means they take a similar trajectory?

So is what we seek is more like this?:

lrePoPiJNI9lsXrgnxnstf7LL-wty9YH5cDP5rkAe5F6RanKG-8XDfX_S9g4eDV0kR8nSsu4TB4OjReWqcTJBqTHsA=s512

..possibly with -2 degrees angle of attack (rather than zero - a quick photoshop from the two images above sorry..)

edit: the 5000rpm spin rate I guess would be wrong on the photoshopped image also - ignore that!

Last edited:
Not quite. Initial trajectory (launch angle) is not directly determined by spin loft. Spin loft directly effects spin rate.

Launch angle is more like a xx% below the dynamic loft. For an iron, say 25%.

So if the AoA is 0*, and the DL is 20*, then the launch angle is 15*.

If the 20* spin loft above was shifted upward, like 10* AoA and 30* DL, then the launch angle would be 25*.

The lower the spin loft (difference between the face and the path) the more "direct" the blow and more "compression."

The higher the spin loft, the more "glancing blow" and more spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.