Ball Position Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know how many of us in here strictly use a ball position that is just inside the left armpit FOR ALL SHOTS:

iron play
pitching
chipping
putting

I actually do. And I'm a stickler for it. But I'm finding it occasionally difficult to use that forward ball position for the short game.

I see a lot of pros play the ball slightly back in their stances on pitch and chips.

Last edited:
I don't. I have been trying to keep the trajectory lower with my short irons lately and the only way I can do this consistently is by moving the ball back to a little forward of center. With the ball off the left armpit, I feel as though I have to move too much laterally to the left to get to the ball--then axis tilt changes and the swing is just not comfortable not to mention difficult to control.

I never play anything right of center unless I'm hitting some sort of recovery shot.

I came across a video of Ben Doyle giving a lesson yesterday and he was having the student hit a small tire. He was demonstrating throw out action and hit a chip, pitch, punch and kinda half swing and his ball position never changed: inside left heel. ONLY thing that changed was the width of his stance by moving the right foot back.

Status
Not open for further replies.