Barrel-Chested Patterns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyt

New
I was watching the Champions Tour over the weekend and while watching Hal Sutton and the split screen of his swing from years ago and now raises a question:

Should a person who is "barrel chested" have any specific swing thoughts to work on thats different from the more lean body type? Back swing thoughts, impact thoughts and follow thru thoughts?

Is there a specific pattern? I would think that there are more of us barrel chested guys out there than the other type. Barrel chested people find it difficult to achieve some of the positions that are leaner counter parts can.

Specific advice please!!!

Thanks

Jimmy T

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Barrel-Chested.

There is NO SPECIFIC PATTERN for broad chested golfers.

But...

Most of them DO NEED to learn to let their arms swing from their shoulder sockets more.

They are also very dependent on impact, and just after impact body positioning, because they can't maintain the angles for long.

I wouldn't lean very many of them left at the top either.

jimmyt

New
There is NO SPECIFIC PATTERN for broad chested golfers.

But...

Most of them DO NEED to learn to let their arms swing from their shoulder sockets more.

They are also very dependent on impact, and just after impact body positioning, because they can't maintain the angles for long.

I wouldn't lean very many of them left at the top either.

Bmanz,

Can you go into a little more detail on the impact and just after impact positioning comment?

Is the back swing of a barrel chested person better to be more upright or flat backswing?

Could you please explain the above quote? I'm not exactly sure what dependent on impact means, but as a barrel chested golfer would like to know.

I wouldn't call myself barrell chested but...

larger chested.....

I have learned that I struggle with weight going too much towards the toes at set up.

When I really focus on balancing that out, my swing improves 100%. When I lose sight of it. I am struggling.

Example: Sunday...hitting the driver beautiful all day. On one of the last 3 holes to use the driver, I hit this high slice OB. WTF!!! But I got this picture in my brain of being on my balls and toes at set up. My next shot, I settled back a bit and focused on balancing the weight. Crushed the drive exactly where I wanted it to go.

When I balance between the heels and the balls of my feet, it naturally draws my gut back a little. I feel like I have tons of room to bring the club through and I finish in balance. I have found I can successfully swing from either side of the matrix from this position.

When on the toes, I have a poorer set up posture and end up making all kinds of compensations and almost always finish out of balance. I lose room to swiing the club and end up raising up at impact.

So, being heavy chested (and/or heavy gutted), you might check your set up out because that imbalance of weight can naturally pull you forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.