Bent left elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlam

New
Why is straight left elbow important?

Westwood and Sadlowski have a bent left elbow at impact and they are good strikers of the ball.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Among other things, a bent left elbow keeps it looking at the target, blocking a good swivel. But as with everything, the ball doesnt know where ur elbow is so whatever works. Only change it if its the root of a problem, which it isnt for those two, or Olazabal and Cal Peete

dlam

New
Calvin Peete had a bent elbow cause he physically had too. He mentions that he thought that it hinder this golfing development rather than help him.

I just think having a bent elbow at address is more natural than a rigid straight one.

Dlam, in your original post you asked about bent left elbow at impact. In your next post
you said bent left elbow at address. Typo?

dlam

New
I analyzed three modern golfers know to have a bent left elbow at impact in slow motion.
Goosen, Westwood and Sadlowski
Only Wesrtwood has a bend at address. the other two has it straight on the takeaway and then bends the elbow in forward swing.
Sadlowski keeps his left elbow straight until just before impact then really bends that elbow throught the hitting zone , so much so that he chicken wings it.

Goosen is less noticable ,his left elbow is straight in the backswing then bends it early in the forward swing but seems to keep a constant bend in the forward swing and so he doesn't appear to chicken wing.

Weswood, well he's got just an ugly bend in that elbow at address, I sure as a junior some probably tried to get him to keep it straighter, but that might have ruined his swing.....anyway he manages to keep that bend constant in the backswing and then bends it more in the forward swing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFALtG9Ld4&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0dNIP-yoU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duDQcCNzcs0[/media]

IMO I think it one's going to have a bent left elbow at impact then start at address like Westwood or Peete.

Why is straight left elbow important?

Westwood and Sadlowski have a bent left elbow at impact and they are good strikers of the ball.

I think, in light of the golfers you noted, it is not imperative to have a straight left elbow.

IMO I think it one's going to have a bent left elbow at impact then start at address like Westwood or Peete.

Maybe for more accuracy, but for more distance I would think bending it into impact would produce more distance.

S

SteveT

SOMETHING VERY VERY STRANGE HAPPENING !!!!

WOW !!!!!!! ... Sadlowski really bends his lead left elbow coming through Impact !!!!

What happened to all that 100+ lbs. of centrifugal force at Impact, pulling the golfer out of his rotation??!!!!

Is Sadlowski's left arm 'curling' over 100 lbs. of centrifugal force through Impact when it flexes inwards ...??!!!!

His right arm can't be supporting any of that 100+ lbs. because it's extending away from the body ... so his left arm is taking the full brunt of that 100+ lbs of centrifugal force !!!!

Not only that, he's reducing the rotation radius through Impact by bending his lead left elbow .. after creating a huge backswing radius !!!!

What's going on here ...?????!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

My guess would be a very strong, connected and sustaining pivot... a.k.a. "throwing the drunk off your back".

Anyone here ever pay much attention to Peter Senior?

S

SteveT

Sorry, Joe ... but that means nothing to me. Could you clarify you comment. Thanks

Sorry, Steve... what part?
PeterSenior12-12-2010.jpg

PeterSenior9-6-2009.jpg

Last edited:
You'll notice that many players who bend the left elbow have steep shoulders through impact (see Westwood and Sad). I believe the bent left elbow aids in swinging left whereas a more flat shoulder is a bit easier to move the club left after impact without using the elbow.

S

SteveT

WOW !!!!!!! ... Sadlowski really bends his lead left elbow coming through Impact !!!!

What happened to all that 100+ lbs. of centrifugal force at Impact, pulling the golfer out of his rotation??!!!!

Is Sadlowski's left arm 'curling' over 100 lbs. of centrifugal force through Impact when it flexes inwards ...??!!!!

His right arm can't be supporting any of that 100+ lbs. because it's extending away from the body ... so his left arm is taking the full brunt of that 100+ lbs of centrifugal force !!!!

Not only that, he's reducing the rotation radius through Impact by bending his lead left elbow .. after creating a huge backswing radius !!!!

What's going on here ...?????!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ANYBODY ...?????!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You'll notice that many players who bend the left elbow have steep shoulders through impact (see Westwood and Sad). I believe the bent left elbow aids in swinging left whereas a more flat shoulder is a bit easier to move the club left after impact without using the elbow.

Astute point for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.