Best Nine Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday I shot 45/37 for an 82. A good round for me. The back nine was the best ever. I have a question for someone to explain, if you can, why what happened happened. Here is the story.

I started out on the front nine 8-over on the first 5 holes. I could not get the ball in play off the tee. My tee shots were slight, dainty (i.e. short) push fades/slices. I use the NHA backswing with a little pop out. My tendency is to throw the club down the target line away from my body, which I think keeps me from closing the club face at impact.

After 5 holes of pure frustration, I remember to swing left. I do two things. I set the ball as forward as I can in my set up and on a high tee to insure that I hit up on the ball. And I concentrate on moving my hands and arms left after impact; really I start swinging left from the top. I focus on losing sight of my hands as they turn left around my body through impact.

Immediately, I started hitting the ball straight as an arrow, with a slight pull. My club face was closing properly, and I was getting good distances, as far as I have ever hit it. I finished the last 13 holes with a birdie, 3 bogies, and 9 pars. And I took more money from my playing partners than I have ever done before.

Part of my good round was the result of a short-game that was outstanding during that round. I recently took a lesson from another forum contributor here in North Carolina, TeacherFitter, who revolutionized my short game. On the back nine, I took 15 putts, six two-putts and 3 one-putts. I want to give him credit.

Still, here is my question (please excuse the length of my email): Why does swinging left do what it does, which was for me, to enable me to square the clubface at impact? Is it the tumble? Can you swing left too much? I have NHA where BM talks about the "Yellow Brick Road," but I am trying to understand why swinging left worked.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Kungrats on the round, r.

Thanks. I am off this afternoon for another shot at breaking the mythical "80". I want to be clear, also, given the nature of the recent threads here, that I credit this forum with helping me understand my swing sufficiently to get the ball in fairway consistently the last couple of times I have played, particularly with the notion of swinging left and the tumble. NHA, Soft Draw, and Confessions are all great videos from which I have learned important things. I have always suffered from Below Plane Syndrome. This forum, and Brian Manzella particularly, enabled me to diagnose it, and I am working to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.