Best reasonably priced courses in Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of some good, affordable courses in Ireland? Heading there next week, and I will need to rent clubs as well.

I played Portmarnock outside of Dublin last year. It was a last minute pick and I am pretty sure it was reasonable. We played K Club and a bunch of well known courses on that trip but I liked Portmarnock the best of the bunch.

I played PortMarnock Links, Dooks Golf Club, and Waterville. Dooks and Waterville are in Kerry and I recommend them both. Dooks is surrounded by phenomenal scenery, and the course was fun (except hole 8 -- absolutely no bailouts), and Waterville was a blast (and gorgeous). Prices ranged from 65 Euro (Dooks), to 125 Euro (Waterville). I had absolute luck with the weather (very little wind) though, so the courses were not as intimidating as they could have been.

Portmarnock Links, I found very long, technically difficult (you PAID for a wayward drive, and greens didn't seem to have a break trend). It was however, very convenient to Dublin and there were lots of folks to play with from different countries (a blast).

Dooks was my favorite. Most of the course runs along the water, and it was not very commercial. It balanced length, beauty, and a very friendly staff with remoteness.

Waterville is geared toward Americans, with the 9th hole coming into the clubhouse (lunch break) with many different tees. A good chunk of it runs along the water (final holes) and it is surrounded by mountains in the distance. The 18th hole has a plaque dedicated to an American golfer who always found himself coming back to the beach there (and that is where I hit my drive).

All were great fun! Have a good trip.

Steve

PS. If you get a rental car, make sure you reserve an automatic. Driving on the wrong side of the road and learning to shift with the left hand was nearly disastrous for the first two days. ( I drive a manual at home).

Last edited:
Not sure what 'reasonably priced' means, but last Summer I found golf to be quite reasonable.. probably becuase I deliberately chose 'non-tourist' locales. Here are some truly good courses (probably ~$US90-$100) I played.. Ballyliffin, Carne, Enniscrone, Donegal (Murvagh), Ardglass.

66er

New
I'm from the south, but Mount Juliet in kilkenny is a must, held a WGC 8 years or so ago, Killeen castle is also beautiful. However both wouldnt be very cheap but perhaps reasonably. Further south, Lee valley GC, dundrum GC, and fota island golf club. All courses I mentioned have good websites and contact information to check prices and such. Enjoy your stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.