Best Teachers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flexibility and open-mindedness. I think the teacher should be able to adjust to each individual and offer suggestions based on that individuals needs, not based on the teacher's preferred methodology. If the player knows they hit it better with a 10 finger grip, don't change it because you don't like a 10 finger grip.

I also think that the teacher should be humble enough not to let his ego get in the way. In other words, don't go changing things just for the sake of changing things so that you can look or sound more knowledgeable. If all they need is to move a little closer to the ball or something like that, don't try to fix his slightly unusual action that may be born of some physical characteristic. It takes humility, knowledge and experience, IMO, to say, "I don't see that you need to change anything; you just need to put more time in to become a little more consistent".

One other thing that a superior teacher needs is people skills. All the knowledge and experience in the world does the student no good if you aren't capable of communicating what you want them to do. And you have to be good enough with people to be able to tell someone the reality of the state of their game without being a jerk and thereby shutting down the lines of communication.

Burner

New
Superior Teachers

What do forum members think is the ideal psychological make-up for a superior teacher and why?

kGxXHSuWCH8QmHR0Dbmykp9ahf8eHQIIPAX1FZOx3LNXbikhoTMBtF0dlTVdxZ0xyH6DpK8Mw1XFxKwImnTryoWbTjTxJZEg6c2oN1vx67_q8Acv5JpInIv64x75gQjPvyBSXdGdbLRDxFsXmtOqd_7SiTHn0E0COlo=s90-c

Interesting, although not wholly unexpected answers. What traits would great teachers exhibit in other areas of their life, i.e. creativity, patience, intellectual wherewithal, left brain/right brain mix, musical and literary tastes, etc?

Burner - Between the Teachers bottle and the Lord Haw Haw comment, you are climbing up my Christmas card list in a big way - Very funny...

Last edited:
I think 'psychologically' a superior teacher must be an independent thinker, with a passion for truth in the subject taught, and in possession of a large gift for listening. Visually and auditorially.

My perspective is: If you can't hear they're not learning - you're not teaching.

Last edited:
It's realistic to learn patience, knowledge, develop social skills and experience. But, on the front end of a teacher's development, he has to be almost more interested in the student's progress than the student himself. That part has to already be there.

It's realistic to learn patience, knowledge, develop social skills and experience. But, on the front end of a teacher's development, he has to be almost more interested in the student's progress than the student himself. That part has to already be there.

Nice one Virt.

Therefore I add, SELFISHNESS to ARROGANCE as two of the prerequisites to being a sheet hat teacher.

Nice one Virt.

Therefore I add, SELFISHNESS to ARROGANCE as two of the prerequisites to being a sheet hat teacher.

I tell you what, Haw Haw, I used to think I was the most cynical geezer on the planet, but you ramp it up to the nth degree....I like it!;)

As to the replies, I know that there are many teachers on this forum, myself included. I'm wondering if the prerequisites put forward manifest themselves in a common manner; for example, musical and literary tastes, other hobbies, political leanings, (nothing too extreme, I hope) enjoyable places of vacation, fashion sense and numerous other things one could perhaps pop into the equation.

I know we'll be all over the map for the most part but it might be interesting to see if some sort of trend line develops.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your kind remarks Oli. I used to be an idealistic kinda guy, but then the world got to me.

I tell you what, Haw Haw, I used to think I was the most cynical geezer on the planet, but you ramp it up to the nth degree....I like it!;)

As to the replies, I know that there are many teachers on this forum, myself included. I'm wondering if the prerequisites put forward manifest themselves in a common manner; for example, musical and literary tastes, other hobbies, political leanings, (nothing too extreme, I hope) enjoyable places of vacation, fashion sense and numerous other things one could perhaps pop into the equation.

I know we'll be all over the map for the most part but it might be interesting to see if some sort of trend line develops.

The best teachers play drums.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.