BLOG: The Biggest Lie Ever Told in Golf Instruction History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick,

You are a method teacher, and in this thread, I was critical of your method's leaders lesson fix for Mr. Finch of Golf Digest.

Some folks think I am too critical of other teachers, but if you read through all of this sites stuff, you'll see I am critical of myself very often.

I hate to do a poor job. I have given my share of bad lessons over the years. I have improved a lot though. You will too if you keep self scouting.

On this site, I have taken many bullets, but most all of them are from certain methodology apologists, so forgive me for the Ginsu treatment.

I am fair at least, no? :)

Also, this entire thread was based on the fact that I heard how shifting left, or not shifting at all was THE way or maybe the ONLY way to cure the golfer who flips it so bad that they have a low point too far back. Of course, after 27 years of having ZERO problems moving low point forward, with the kinda ironic situation of actually having to adjust my teaching the last few years to move low point BACK for many of my students, I was ready to voice my opinion and back them up.

And I think I made my point fairly well.

I also said that I like many elements of your method's pattern.

But, it wasn't an advertisement for it either. Ya'll get plenty of those.

You see, there are at least two completely other METHODS out there that try to control low point by subtracting pivots. I was talking about them as well, I hope you know that.

I am glad you say you learn some things from this site. I obviously do more sharing on this site then any other that I can see.

I want GOLF to improve, and GOLF INSTRUCTION to improve.

Why?

Because I love golf. And because if golf instruction improves, it helps my business.

I think like most methodologies, you have a very narrow view of the swing. That makes it easier to train you guys, and makes for a neat little "window" to see swings through.

I've been there, and I'm sure you guys think, "yeah, but his stuff wasn't as good as our stuff." Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But you miss way too many people seeing through a small window.

I suggest you look at swings of Danny Lee, Landon Colling, and Jamie Sadlowski.

You'll see the future, and you can plan for it.

The revolution...when will it happen? When will the training start? Videos and forum blogs are tapering out and I like many others if left to find our own way will have opporunity to miss some things along the way. There is a business plan I presume to get right "the first time" (there are other models out there, however, to learn from their mistakes and their successes).

But I really think the time must come soon to have to start the AIM program. (Authorized Instructor Manzella) Golf really deserves more A+ teachers. I don't want to step on your future ideas if something like this even holds any interest to you, I guess it is something I have really been thinking about since beginning my search for knowledge. How amazing would it be to have a program that teaches someone elses patterns along with their own preferred patterns, just so that you can have the knowledge to make you a better instructor? Unheard of but in many ways what the PGA has said they want to do but has fallen way, way, way short of.

Incidently I am sure you know that Rick Martino is now the "former" Director of Instruction of the PGA. He is now the Director of Instruction of "Motion Golf" a 3 D software company. So maybe you could get the revolution started earlier with the built in system? (Of course writing a new book would be overdue and changing many other systems currently in place) We also know that they will resist that shake up with every fiber of their being.

Thanks for listening.

PS.....I'm ready
:)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
On The Way....

We have a very important research trip planned for March 30 & 31. Myself, Mike Finney and Chris Hamburger will be making the trip. We hope to get FINAL ANSWERS on some really big things, and put them into the big picture.

Then, later this summer, either on Long Island or Washington, D.C., we will have an unprecedented education event that we hope will be the kick-off to our teacher education program.

Will it a be a revolution?

Nah.

It will be a revelation.

Brian,

I wait in great anticipation. Thank you for the hope. Will the education event be a demonstration, or a class? Invitation only or reserve seating? Or should I just shut up and wait and see!

BTW I called PGA today and asked who the current Director of Instruction was for the PGA and they said that there was not one person directly in charge of Instruction.

Ah yikes?!

Kevin, maybe shake up a couple tail feathers (after you get the jacket of course!!) and see what they are doing as far as "direction" at the PGA. See if they have any revelations coming up soon or if they are just satisfied with the "status quo".

Ben Doyle's Maximum Participation Pattern

1. Ball way forward.
(supposedly makes it harder to move low point forward)
2. Set-up well behind the ball.
3. Top of the backswing pivot, well behind the ball.
4. Long patient sit-down position.
5. No downswing hip slide allowed.
6. If the plane line is fudged any, it is always too inside-out.
7. Head has to stay way behind the ball through impact.
8. Right Foot has to stay on the ground through impact.
9. He wants no forward leaning shaft at impact.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, although still the current topic.

But, is #9 written correctly? If so, should the shaft be vertical?​

Status
Not open for further replies.