Books for Training Golf Instructors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would appreciate if the forum would provide me their choices for books for a college golf class. Will coach them about how to coach. I would like to have you rank 5 (1-5). Thanks.

+1 on Talent Code. Not a golf book, but I'd struggle to imagine anything that you could read that would be more important ('tho BBax makes a good case for the rules, assuming a US audience:))

Even less golf-specific than the Talent Code, but a tremendous book for anyone who is going to be mentoring young and ambitious talent, is Practicing by Glenn Kurtz. Should be on the reading list of anyone who thinks they might be driven to try and achieve anything.

For golf books, I'd be tempted to recommend Pelz Short Game Bible, Stan Utley (either Short Game or Putting) and Percy Boomer. Not for the golf information per se, but for the exemplification of three very different approaches to teaching.

The five lessons : Ben Hogan
Golf My Way : Jack Nicklaus
They Call me Coach: John Wooden
The Right Mind for Golf : Rene Kurensky
The Golf Machine: Homer Kelly

1. "Search For The Perfect Swing" Cochran and Stobbs. If I could take only one book with me to Mars to teach aliens how to play golf, this would be it.
2. "5 Lessons" Hogan
3. "The 8 Step Swing" McClean
4. "The Golfing Machine" Kelley
5. "Golf My Way" Nicklaus
6. "Golf Fundamentals" Dunn

1. If you can read it Homer Kelleys The Golfing Machine (I could never get through it:confused:)wish I could)..Anyone know the name of the scaled down version by chance>?
2.Jim Mcleans 8 step swing
3.Hogans 5 lessons
4. Ernest Jones swing the clubhead
5.Daniel Coyles The Talent Code

Hey take it easy on old Toski! "How To Come a Complete Golfer" has the D-plane in it. Toski clearly mentions that the left arm moves directly left after impact and that the divots on par 3 tee boxes during tour events all point left! :p I will have to look for the specific quote.

Last edited:
On Learning Golf ..Percy Boomer

Quantum Golf (The Path to Golf Mastery) Kjell Enhager

Swing the Clubhead..Ernest Jones

Matt

Hey take it easy on old Toski! "How To Come a Complete Golfer" has the D-plane in it. Toski clearly mentions that the left arm moves directly left after impact and that the divots on par 3 tee boxes during tour events all point left! :p I will have to look for the specific quote.

Does he mention how to mark the ball on aeriated greens? Only kidding.....he's a New Englanda' so he ain't all that bad. In fact I won his Intercollegiate Event many moons ago.

Forget about books, give em Ben Doyles mat, Mike Austins "flammer", an inclined plane constructed from plywood, and a tic-tac wrist band.

David,
Obviously depends on what your objectives are and who your audience is. I will second some previous suggestions with
Percy Boomer (It is always at or near the top of any instructors list that I have asked about their favorite books.) and anything by Michael Hebron. (Secrets and Lies might be his best, but I think they are all good.)
Golf is Not A Game of Perfect - Rotella
Easier Said Than Done - Dr. Rick Jensen (Excellent new book.)
Have heard really good things about the Talent Code from some people I respect, but I have not read it yet. (Maybe after I finish watching the Anti-Summit.)
Best Wishes!

Does he mention how to mark the ball on aeriated greens? Only kidding.....he's a New Englanda' so he ain't all that bad. In fact I won his Intercollegiate Event many moons ago.

"...stand behind the practice tee or one of the par-3 holes on which the players use irons. Watch where the divots go. You'll find almost all of the divot marks pointing to the left of the target, and the divots themselves will land left of the target line...It simply means that the clubhead is traveling left after impact, so naturally the divot must go left." p.111

There are some good pics in that book of Toski cutting left like a dervish! I pondered this point years and years ago, not thinking that learning the D-plane would bring me back to it. I had not touched the book in 15 years! Of course in effect what Toski was teaching is at best a straight plane line concept. If you look at his irons he is set up way left, his driver way right! One picture make me think Toski at the very lest hit it level with the driver, but he could easily be 2 degrees on the up.

Sorry to get off topic.

I think the poster that asked for the "scaled down version" of TGM meant Bobby Clampett's "Impact Zone."

I am well aware of clampett's "Impact Zone"
I thought their was a revised easier to read version of TGM, maybe it is just the 7th edition or something like that ?Unless there is another version someone knows about?

Status
Not open for further replies.