Brian and the Magic table

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to share with all of you the difference between a good teacher and a great one.

I spent a few hours with Brian over the last couple of weeks while he was in Florida and to put it bluntly I was struggling.

I had been striking the ball about as good as I could for the last 6 months since seeing Brian in NY, but recently lost my contact and started to hook the ball. On Sunday we were working with Brian's little orange friend (trackman) when the battery ran out. It was clear that I was coming hard from the inside, about 5-7 degree's but we were really banging our heads against the wall trying to fix it.

We tried the carry drill and some rotational hip stuff and weren't getting anywhere when Brian looks around and sees a table that was I guessed used in a golf school at the PGA learning center where we were. He gets a big grin and says "it can't be that simple". Brian takes a club and lines up his right hip with the end of the table and makes some swinging moves. He then puts me next to the table and at about the 4 O'Clock position where there is a Gatorade cooler tells me to turn on my downswing until my right hip is pointing at the cooler before I right-side-bend and viola! the feeling of solid contact and familiar moves is back. We go through the bag just to check and I couldn't be more pleased.

As I drove home all I could think of was how many instructors would have been able to look around at random objects and be able to turn them into a training aid (or training obstacle course) to help a student.

There is definitely a difference between good and great!

thanks Bmanz,
Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.