Brian: Double shift Backstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hue

New
Brian: If you have a double shift swing how necessary is it to get the hands on the turned shoulder plane at the top as you would want for a single shift swing? Does it make sense having a flatter backswing so the drop onto the elbow plane in the downstroke is a smaller movement therefore safer? I notice Chad Campbell has a flat backstroke and people have commented that Hogan had a flat backstroke and both are double shifters.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
they are still on the turned shoulder plane they are just not "all the way to the top of it."

If you are below the TSP at whatever point in your swing, when you shift you will shift below plane usually.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If during the stroke the right elbow comes off the elbow plane and moves to something else, it is REALLY hard to get back on that SAME ELBOW PLANE you established at address.

Would that be someone like Sergio? He looks like he gets above the TSP, then drops to the elbow plane. Would Vijay be an example of keeping the elbow on the elbow plane?

Doesn't Tiger also get his right elbow above the elbow plane, then drop back onto it?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Maybe I was misunderstood...or just did a poor job of explaining myself....

I prefer the elbow to "stay on the plane" IF and ONLY IF the following conditions are present:

A golfer who does, or I feel needs to do, a DOUBLE SHIFT.

A golfer doesn't have "below the plane" issues.

------------------------------------------------

In general I have NO PROBLEM AT ALL with top of the backswing planes like the Squared Shoulder (I use it often) or the TURNING SHOULDER (Have used it often) as well as even STEEPER planes.

What ever works...

Remember>>>>The IMPERATIVES dictate the COMPONENTS, not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.