Brian Manzella Golf Academy 2007 Baltimore Golf School & Tour Stop Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
My review of the Baltimore Golf School by Jack Duquette. To give you a little back ground about myself, I’m not new to golf schools and teachers of the Golfing Machine. Below is a list of many of the teacher I’ve taken lesson from in the past.

Paul Bertholey 3 day school
Tom Tomessello 5 day school…GSED
Mark Evershed 3 day school MSED
Mike Hebron 2 day school GSED
Scott Hazeldine 2 day school
Peter Crocker 3 day school
Don Trahan 2 day school
David Lee 3 day school
Chuck Evans, Lynn Blake 3 day school GSED
Joe Daniels, Bill Skelleys 3 day GSED
Dan Shaugher ( Mike Austin Method) 2 day school
Ben Doyle 2 lessons GSED
Greg McHatton 1 lesson GSED
Tom Strickney 1 lessson GSED
Monte Harris 3 lessons GSED
Bill Strausbaugh 1 lesson

Most of the people above are excellent teachers in many ways, but Brian tops the list. Too many teachers try to teach their method, which is great if their method fits your swing pattern. Brian on the other hand analyzes your swing, and then giving you a blueprint on how to fix it. I watched Brian work with the 3 other students in the school analyzing their swings and giving each one of them specific ways to fix their swing. He told us what we are doing wrong, and showed us how to fix it. He did it with drills, demonstration, what ever he needed to get the message through to that person. He would not stop, unless you thoroughly knew how to fix it, a sign of a great teacher. Brian has so much energy and enthusiasm.
The school started at 9:00 am on Saturday and was suppose to go until 4:00 pm. We heard that Brian was going to be an hour and 1/2 late to the school because of travel problems. He left New Orleans Friday, but because of weather problem across the east coast, his flight only made it to Memphis. He spent the night sleeping in the airport, and took the first plane to Baltimore on Saturday morning. I don’t know about you, but if I got little or no sleep the night before and the airline misplaced all of my luggage, I would be a little cranky and short. Not Brian, he gave a command performance. The school went to 6:30 to catch up on every thing that was needed to be covered that day.
He is a master teacher in everyway, I was impressed with is knowledge and how quickly he spots what people are doing wrong. He gave us a clinic on how to play bunkers shots that was so easy to understand. I now have no fear about bunkers, thanks to Brian.
Damon Lucas worked the school with Brian; Damon was amazing in his knowledge and is an excellent player. In short the school was fantastic I rate it a 10…. I only wish Brian lived closer to the D.C area. I will try and write more later, Jack:)

How has your game progressed with all of those lessons? I am just curious because it seems like the more lessons I take the more I get screwed up; however, I am not taking lessons from the caliber of guys you are. In short, what kind of difference can a person expect after a few lessons with someone like Brian?

Does anyone have any general advice about finding quality teachers and getting on a track to improve. Brian sounds great, but I am not sure he is every anywhere near me.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Find 1 instructor that you can understand and helps your improve. If you can't move on to the next.

IF you go around seeing teacher after teaching they may all be trying to help you with something similar but saying it 1000 different ways and thats when people get screwed up imo.

Don Trahan 2 day school
David Lee 3 day school
Ben Doyle 2 lessons GSED

What did/does your daddy do for a living?

KOC

New
My review of the Baltimore Golf School by Jack Duquette. To give you a little back ground about myself, I’m not new to golf schools and teachers of the Golfing Machine. Below is a list of many of the teacher I’ve taken lesson from in the past.

Don Trahan 2 day school
David Lee 3 day school
Ben Doyle 2 lessons GSED

Most of the people above are excellent teachers in many ways, but Brian tops the list. Too many teachers try to teach their method, which is great if their method fits your swing pattern. Brian on the other hand analyzes your swing, and then giving you a blueprint on how to fix it. I watched Brian work with the 3 other students in the school analyzing their swings and giving each one of them specific ways to fix their swing. He told us what we are doing wrong, and showed us how to fix it. He did it with drills, demonstration, what ever he needed to get the message through to that person. He would not stop, unless you thoroughly knew how to fix it, a sign of a great teacher. Brian has so much energy and enthusiasm.
The school started at 9:00 am on Saturday and was suppose to go until 4:00 pm. We heard that Brian was going to be an hour and 1/2 late to the school because of travel problems. He left New Orleans Friday, but because of weather problem across the east coast, his flight only made it to Memphis. He spent the night sleeping in the airport, and took the first plane to Baltimore on Saturday morning. I don’t know about you, but if I got little or no sleep the night before and the airline misplaced all of my luggage, I would be a little cranky and short. Not Brian, he gave a command performance. The school went to 6:30 to catch up on every thing that was needed to be covered that day.
He is a master teacher in everyway, I was impressed with is knowledge and how quickly he spots what people are doing wrong. He gave us a clinic on how to play bunkers shots that was so easy to understand. I now have no fear about bunkers, thanks to Brian.
Damon Lucas worked the school with Brian; Damon was amazing in his knowledge and is an excellent player. In short the school was fantastic I rate it a 10…. I only wish Brian lived closer to the D.C area. I will try and write more later, Jack:)

Wow! If i had chance to follow so many great teachers, i THINK i can hit bunker shot as Brian said in his bunker video: should be bread and butter...

BTW, Mr. Ben Doyle did not ask you to do the bunker test or China wall drill?

To answer some of your questions

I have been studing golf for over 30 years, and I'm not rich, I teach Jr. HS Science and coach the golf team.

I totally agree with Jim, Find 1 instructor that you can understand and helps your improve. If you can't move on to the next.
Jack

The Hayfields Tour Stop 2007

As I write this, Brian is bound for Panama City, and hopefully will take in some of the local flavor down there.
The Hayfields, proved to be everything I expected and more, always more. As you may have found out, Damon Lucas, a solid professional was a gracious host. While Brian was en route from Reagan National, Damon started the morning practice and video recording. I worked through my bag as Damon walked the practice tee, keeping us loose and steady. He is tops.

Listen up guys, most of you have been to golf schools and or sought the best known instructors in golf. I must let you in on something. I spent one year reading, reading and re-reading the posts, and threads. Everything I could find. One full year. I would study Brian's stuff, and then go and try it out. It was good and the intent was there, but after a while I wasn't getting where I wanted to be in my swing. I was not the owner yet. After the first year passed, I dialed Brian's number, he answered, and said meet me in Atlanta.

The Atlanta lesson, has lasted me eleven months. One lesson, and eleven month's of lasting twenty four carat gold golf instruction. But there is a simple difference, I left Atlanta with my swing.

I came to the Hayfields for an upgrade on my swing. And I got it.

Brian went down the line, as Damon moved equally up the other side. Studying our patterns, and problems always conferring and deferring. You could sense that a plan was about to hatch for each of us. We were encouraged to stop and listen to Brian explain a drill or principle to one of us while the others were thoroughly engaged, and intent on listening to a pro's pro.

We covered long swings, chips, pitches, bunker specialty shots, and the morning before the 18 hole playing lessons, we each made a video with Brian explaining and demonstrating individual improvement plans.

And always there was one more question. Always wanting more and getting it.
The best part, was realizing that you are with someone who gives and cares as much as you. That is integrity.

Thanks Brian,

Rick

Postscript "How'd it get like that?"

Great Post Rick, It was a pleasure meeting you in the school. Rick has one of the best looking swings I have every seen. YOU need to put it on the forum to show what Brian has done for you, they will be amazed. Jack;)

Baltimore Tour Stop

I had the pleasure of working with Brian and Damon for 3 hours on Monday, 6/11.

After meeting for breakfast, we hit the range just before 9 and worked till just after noon.

After warm up, we spent several hours working on the "Yellow Brick Road". I went there with an "under plane, shut faced" motion. We spent a lot of time getting a lot more "up" going back (show the underarms).

I have never felt my hands that "high" at the top - Brian said they were still not all the way to the Turned SP. Shoulder turn is steeper than before.

Relative to my old pattern, downswing felt "more outside" with arms getting in fromt of my body a lot sooner. Lot of shots to to the right as I worked on keeping the clubface "open" thru impact. Amazingly, although I only hit about 8 to 10 drives at the end, they were all solid with only a slight fade (my preferred shot). I big challenge is that when I see a ball go left, not to try to fix it with the path (swing more right) but fix it with improving clubface position.

I have a tendency at start down to bring my tush line in and have my right shoulder move back - back is not the same as down. From the top, my sense is that not only does the right shoulder move down, it also moves out.

Last hour was spent on chipping and putting.

Brian and Damon were most helpful and I feel that with some time and smart practice, I should see some significant improvement in my ball striking.

Other that using the word "plane" Brian and Damon did not use any TGM terminology.

Well worth the time and money spent.

Thanks Brian and Damon,

Bruce

Don Trahan 2 day school
David Lee 3 day school
Ben Doyle 2 lessons GSED

An impressive list - Makes you #1 in golf school/teacher advice.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Paradigm Busting!

Wow! If i had chance to follow so many great teachers, i THINK i can hit bunker shot as Brian said in his bunker video: should be bread and butter...

BTW, Mr. Ben Doyle did not ask you to do the bunker test or China wall drill?

I am not sure what you are saying here KOC, but in case it it this:

"What was so special about Brian Manzella's bunker lesson at the Baltimore school? Surely, it is just the same old "hit the line" stuff on his OVER & OUT video, and nothing different than Ben Doyle showed you, and what any other TGM teacher teaches, Right?"​
Great question (if that was it)!

Here is the deal, KOC, since you have never seen me teach in person, or you have never taken a lesson from me, or perhaps, you were given an incorrect scouting report of how good I really am at what I do...

Here is a couple of little (Manzella Style) examples:

If you got your hands on the script for the funniest stand-up comedy rotine of all time, and had member #5124 read it at a comedy club, would it be just as funny?

If you had a clarinetist studying at Juliard, play the EXACT notes from a Pete Fountain riff, would it sound as good?

If you put the 50 million drivers in the USA that can drive standard, all in a car with a 16 yr old rookie driver who has only driven an automatic, would they all give the same lesson?

Would any of them get the 16yr old to drive a 5 mile route in city driving within a half day of teaching them?

If you go to Norman palyground in New Orleans, and pick the 7 best looking, fastest running, young guys, could 7 guys over 35 ever beat them 21-zip?

Huh?

How many GREAT reviews do you have to see before you believe?

:) :confused: :mad: :( :p ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :D :cool:

Question to Brian and Others

Just out of interest...

Brian:
How much would you say your teaching has improved since summer 2005?

Others (those who have taken lessons from Brian in the past (before 2005) and has also taken lessons from Brian recently:
How has Brian's teaching ability progressed in the last, say, 3-5 years?

KOC

New
I am not sure what you are saying here KOC, but in case it it this:

"What was so special about Brian Manzella's bunker lesson at the Baltimore school? Surely, it is just the same old "hit the line" stuff on his OVER & OUT video, and nothing different than Ben Doyle showed you, and what any other TGM teacher teaches, Right?"​
Great question (if that was it)!

Here is the deal, KOC, since you have never seen me teach in person, or you have never taken a lesson from me, or perhaps, you were given an incorrect scouting report of how good I really am at what I do...

Here is a couple of little (Manzella Style) examples:

If you got your hands on the script for the funniest stand-up comedy rotine of all time, and had member #5124 read it at a comedy club, would it be just as funny?

If you had a clarinetist studying at Juliard, play the EXACT notes from a Pete Fountain riff, would it sound as good?

If you put the 50 million drivers in the USA that can drive standard, all in a car with a 16 yr old rookie driver who has only driven an automatic, would they all give the same lesson?

Would any of them get the 16yr old to drive a 5 mile route in city driving within a half day of teaching them?

If you go to Norman palyground in New Orleans, and pick the 7 best looking, fastest running, young guys, could 7 guys over 35 ever beat them 21-zip?

Huh?

How many GREAT reviews do you have to see before you believe?

:) :confused: :mad: :( :p ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :D :cool:

That is to tell YOU are the man out of the list.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
I met Brian in 2004 and had the pleasure of working alongside him and observing him this past weekend.

Leo, your question is hard to quantify.... I would surmise that he knew his stuff pretty cold 3 years ago, had the same entertaining and invigorating manner then, and was pretty close to an 'A' by his standards.

Now....he has even more ways of communicating his lessons, his 'matrixes' are more defined(especially the short game matrix!!), and he is even more efficient at getting the student to do what he wants them to do. Probably pretty close to an 'A+" now, although he won't admit to that because he believes that he'll get even better tomorrow.

We are privileged to have his ears and eyes...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hmmm....

Just out of interest...

Brian:
How much would you say your teaching has improved since summer 2005?

A bunch.

For example, I gave a Private "Tour Stop" in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in the Fall of 2005. I remember my lessons there very well.

I have a hard time thinking about it, because that year, 2005, was full of too much classifying, and not enough fixing.

I solved that very soon after.

You saw me in the summer of 2005, and really didn't get anywhere near the quality of instruction from me or Mike Finney, that you would have gotten at a Manzella Academy School. I was too busy trying to undo stuff I had already fixed, or trying to make up for time I didn't get to explain my method, or having to work double-time when someone else did things to students I wouldn't have. Sort of like teaching with one hand tied behind your back, while you used the other to get the knife out.

That's OK. I do everything better now, including working with like-minded teachers like Damon Lucas, & Michael Jacobs, etc.

The Manzella Academy Schools this year--2007--are even a big improvement over 2006's schools.

You see, I am continually improving my methods, explanations, and itineraries.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Good post Brian, great teachers get better everyday - they never stop looking for new ways to learn and will always listen and try new ideas.... they are eager

They understand the real world and real situations - because that is their living and the best have done it for a long time...........

Real world situations are students who come to take a lesson, pay the fee and want to learn a few ideas to hit the ball better and play more consistently. 99% of students come to do that in real world teaching -- they are not looking to hear about everything you know and they are definitely not coming to have a book or theory regurgitated ---- they pay for a half hour or hour and expect to leave better or have the understanding of how to improve with a positive expectancy of improvement

If the other 1% do show for a lesson, and their quest is knowledge and science -- than that great
teacher can also provide that student with info to keep them busy endlessly.........

This is Brian's website and his academy and I proud to be his friend and work with him in golf schools -- and I can say he can do the above better than anyone I have seen

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have known Brian for about 3 years and i think the main thing that i have noticed over those years is Brian's quest for knowlege and proving his methods, whether that be right or wrong.

You can ask him, there are things that Brian used to think to be true about what he does and the golf swing that he has learned to be wrong. He said, "ok," took that new information and put it to good use and is still fixing people.

I would say the main thing is that Brian is not afraid to say he's wrong even though we are always hearing say he's right because when he is he's always the first one to say, "yup i was wrong on that one."

Status
Not open for further replies.