Brian's Martin Kaymer golf magazine video - Getting the arms off the chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian's weekly golf video on golf.com is the best "mass golf instruction" anywhere. Brian, this week's video on Martin Kaymer discusses the movement of the arm off the chest. One question, would the feel change for certain types of faults?
If someone is too in to out, would the speed of arms compared to the speed of the body turn change feel-wise?

I have little idea what he is talking about on this one. Your left arm is ON your body at impact, not off it.

Surely if it was (well) off your body you would shank/heel it.

What about the idea of "replacing it".

What about the idea of swinging "left" or "up" or "in" pre impact.

It leaves the body in the backswing, so it would have to come back in the downswing.

You are not trying to max out ulnar deviation at impact.

How can you tumble if it is (well) off the body.

How can you supinate (left) if it is (well) off the body.

How can it move away from the body post impact if it was already off it.

How did this guy shoot 59?

10cozdc.png

Brian Manzella

Administrator
As you look at the lead arm from overhead, the lead arm has moved well away from it's top of the backswing orientation to the chest.

It also move downward quite a bit from the top.

I think we've maybe been talking about two different orientations here - you about the kind of up-down relationship and me about the out-in relationship.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I'm talking about both, Wulsy.

Just another mistake made looking at 2D.

I was THE KING of teaching the opposite of it BTW.....(I taught arm dragging).

I was hoping for an answer on this one. I see some guys (Bubba) have their left arm well of the chest at impact and seem to have it almost on the target side of the left side of the body as well. Is this what you are talking about and do you like to get the impression of swinging the left arm targetwards thro impact?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Does getting the left arm off the chest have anything to do with "carry"?

Wouldn't it stay on the chest if you "carry"? I would think it would.

Basically, there are 2 changes of directions:

1. The body change of direction
2. The club change of direction

When the body changes direction from the ground up. the chest turns into the arm that is still--at that point in time--going back. From there, the initial ride the hands take when they also change direction right after the body does, is "The Carry." Or not the carry but the "sag."

The arm picks up some speed from the torso during all of this and then it starts to attempt to get of the chest.

While all this is going on, the torso starts to push off the pelvis to start assisting the positive alpha (on plane torque).

So, at the end of the day, the arms had better do some gettin' and they better do it early in the downswing.

OK, thanks for that. So you is sayin that if the arms don't get off the chest you will get a big block slice cos the club can't catch up (alpha)?

I remember watching Greg Norman in his prime, when he went after a drive extra hard, the club shaft smacked his back on the follow thru. Hard to do that if your left arm is not moving hard. Perhaps this is where golfers misunderstand "connection". Is the left arm supposed to be glued to the side to keep from getting ahead of the body or to keep from lagging behind? I heard Ken Venturi say at a clinic once that the body should never do anything to slow down the club. Not sure what he meant at the time, Brian's video shined some light on that statement.

Brian......
At a recent lesson the teacher wanted me to get my arms (lead arm in particular) off my chest asap in transition.
Other than just speeding up the arms themselves would you have any specific help or advice?

Does it make sense to want to have your arms well off your torso at impact as opposed to the general idea of replacing it? Looking at some swings (like Kaymer) it seems that the left arm is at least 45° to the torso close to impact. He does stand pretty far away from it at address though. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.