Bribing kids to do well in school - golf applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bribing kids to do well in school - link

great article about incentivising, i've found some applications for these ideas in golf instruction. it's amazing how quickly some kids will snap into focus to pull off a tough up and down for $5 or a gatorade. and it can also give them incentive to make the high-percentage play instead of the shot that might look flashy.

do any of the coaches/instructors on here have any experience with this kind of stuff?

Needs to be handled carefully, I think. There's quite a bit of research looking at the differences in performance where motivation is either external (ie. means-end or bribe) or internal (where the task is valued for its own sake).

My personal take is that bribes have their place - but need to be used sparingly, and ideally to whet the appetite for doing something properly as an end in itself.

You also need to look at whether you only incentivise short-term behaviour - or whether you can create longer-term planning and motivation.

Needs to be handled carefully, I think. There's quite a bit of research looking at the differences in performance where motivation is either external (ie. means-end or bribe) or internal (where the task is valued for its own sake).

My personal take is that bribes have their place - but need to be used sparingly, and ideally to whet the appetite for doing something properly as an end in itself.

You also need to look at whether you only incentivise short-term behaviour - or whether you can create longer-term planning and motivation.

I agree here Birly...I have found that very little external motivation has any sustained value. The key to juniors is keeping their interest when real world diversions find their way in. Peer group acceptance, dating, driving etc. all have a way of distracting them. At that time only those internally motivated stay with the game. Personally, I have found internal motivation a very personal, almost genetic thing?

Kids need to be "bribed" with having their brains stimulated by a creative environment. For a few years I didn't enjoy teaching kids because they never seemed into it. Once I put it on myself to create a better learning experience, it became fun for them and me again.
And don't give your kids that friggin' poisonous red syrup they market to us as a sports drink!! Life's tough enough already.

agree completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.