Buick Open Trip report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some nuggets from my day at the Buick Open:

• Nick Watney - He's going to start contending in and winning majors soon. He'll make you forgot about Lucas Glover in a hurry. Brian would be proud of his pivot: Right foot backswing, left foot downswing. Smooth, simple and very powerful.
  • How Billy Mayfair survives on tour is beyond me.
  • Jonathan Byrd surprised me today and is longer off the tee than I thought.
  • Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey has an interesting move. Crazy strong right hand grip (reason for two gloves???), Sergio like float load and add lag and hits this really pretty high softer than soft draw. He must not be able to putt.
  • After watching everyone on the range for a while I became sick. Sick because I saw one (possibly) ball that was mishit in 30+ mins. Even the guys you've never heard of just kill it. That and everyone hits a soft draw (at least on the range anyway).
  • After his round Watney spent 20+ mins on his cell phone on the range. She must be hot.
  • The merchandise tent was a disappointment. Adidas clima cool shirts are so 2008.
  • If you can't hit a mid sole pitch out on tour you really have no chance.
  • YE Yang made a world class bogey on 12 (340 par 4). Somehow he's laying 2 no more than 100 yds off the tee and in deep tree trouble to the right. He lashes one through Sherwood and it drills the Michigan Lottery truck. He then proceeds to hit it to 15 ft and bleed it in. Really wild.
  • Justin Leonard's putting stroke is poetry in motion. He's also hitting some kind of Nike prototype - look's like an Odyssey #9.
  • I was rather unimpressed with Chad Campbell. Granted I don't know the guy, but his disposition rubs me the wrong way. He made a ginormous mental mistake on 12. With no more than 40 yards to the flag he makes 6 by hitting it long into a bunker. Splashes that one long and can't get up and down. His chin was pretty much buried in his chest all day. Boo hoo Chad.
  • PGA tour players have no fear. Tucked/sucker pins are just a joke to them. I saw many laser beams from ~ 200 that they had no business shooting at. Of course many made birdie.
  • Taylormade sponsors everybody and their mother.
  • Tiger - He was already -6 through 6 when I got there so I didn't see a ton of birdies. His pivot is really dynamic. If he doesn't try and hit everything max out he's sooooo good. His left hip just goes so far left and so fast it's not hard to understand how he can get stuck so fast.

That's all for now, maybe I'll add some more later. Enjoy!

Cool..I went to the Memorial earlier in the year and would say the same things, pretty much exactly. Campbell, not impressed, Byrd is a stud tee to green, and Tiger is soooooooo fun to watch. I've never heard such violence in the impact zone, just ripping through there.

Hadn't been to a PGA event in a while. Here are some of my observations:

• Mongoose is right. EVERYONE hit a soft draw on the range and on the course. They only faded it when required.
  • The majority of the players tee it up LOW, and hit it WAY lower than I thought.
  • Tiger Woods is buff, focused, and one jive turkey
  • Douchebags are spreading like wildfire. They have now infested the game of golf. (Fans)
  • Sometimes John Daly does not feel like being a golfer. I was 15 feet away when he hit 4 balls off of one tee. I feel sorry for him. But, my girlfriend had a great point; He does draw alot of attention to himself with his wardrobe, golf bag, and attitude.
  • Warwick Hills is not a challenging course.
  • Dean Wilson can hit a golf ball through a 3 inch opening at any distance. L-A-S-E-R-S.
  • These guys are good

[*] Douchebags are spreading like wildfire. They have now infested the game of golf. (Fans)

Really. The noise from the "stadium par 3" hole with guys leading cheers constantly like they are at a college football game was annoying even just to TV viewers, even when the coverage was focused on adjacent holes. I really don't like that trend (starting with Phoenix?).

When Tiger Woods and Steve Williams can't plead with a crowd to be quiet, it's a good indicator things are getting out of hand.

Also, it wasn't just the 17th hole. There were "bro's" all over the course who just came to drink beer and cause a scene.

Maybe I'm just a cranky 28 year-old, but I hope this trend dies quickly. After all, it's golf, not beer pong.

Anyone catch the really loud fart someone busted out right next to a microphone when tiger was getting ready to hit his second shot on 18? That guy is talented.

Went to practice today and worked on the things we spoke of. I can swing at it as hard as I want, just as long as Im patient in startdown. Feel the arms fall a little, without the swing center going forward(as you know,big key)..then accererate and POW. Driver go far. Will have to get back on the TRACKMAN in a few weeks to see the numbers. Thanks for your help...I'm seeing Brian in a couple of weeks for a couple of hours and a round of golf. After that we should get back on the machine.

Anyone catch the really loud fart someone busted out right next to a microphone when tiger was getting ready to hit his second shot on 18? That guy is talented.

Buddy I heard that too...lol.

The announcers went on like it didn't happen, with E-Rick and his caddie laughing.

I heard it and it sounded like a good one.

• Mongoose is right. EVERYONE hit a soft draw on the range and on the course. They only faded it when required.
  • The majority of the players tee it up LOW, and hit it WAY lower than I thought.
  • Tiger Woods is buff, focused, and one jive turkey
  • Douchebags are spreading like wildfire. They have now infested the game of golf. (Fans)
  • Sometimes John Daly does not feel like being a golfer. I was 15 feet away when he hit 4 balls off of one tee. I feel sorry for him. But, my girlfriend had a great point; He does draw alot of attention to himself with his wardrobe, golf bag, and attitude.
  • Warwick Hills is not a challenging course.
  • Dean Wilson can hit a golf ball through a 3 inch opening at any distance. L-A-S-E-R-S.
  • These guys are good

I like tourney observation threads. Let's make it a trend guys.

Dean Wilson lasers but hardly know who he is. Practice short game I guess?

I thought they hit drives low too.

I don't like to see people down, confused. You don't have to put up with certain things but I hope Daly does alright for himself. He seems like he has a good heart.

What is a jive turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.