Bumpy Back, Keep What Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling Art

I saw your post below on another thread and thought it would be great if you would expand on the options you mention, and the consequences in terms of balance and sequencing.

Also, whilst there are differences in the KIB, did you test variations in the BB at address or is this always the right hip?

Many thanks

Dear Jared,

Sorry, BBKIB did not improve the 'Peak Time' parameter you were interested in making better. But, it may just be the OVER-simplification of HOW and WHAT and WHERE to KIB (keep it back), so let me explain.

In summary, try keeping your back to the target longer, OR try keeping your right (rear) shoulder back a little longer during the early down swing.

The descriptive term BBKIB, came from a multi-year study seeking 'golf truth' with emphasis on the role and impact of lower body, upper body, and lead arm dynamic stability. In communicating the breadth and depth of the study, it seemed appropriate to descriptively name the process, BODIGolf (Body Optimized by Dynamic(s) Integration Golf).

The support testing involved golfers of widely varying capabilities AND widely varying shapes and conditioning, which very quickly indicated that the "KIB-keep it back" instruction would have to be 'customized' to the varied characteristics of each individual golfer.

The 'location' that worked for MOST of the golfers tested was to keep, or try to keep the right, or rear BUMPY BACK. On some more recent posts, keeping the entire back facing the target longer was for some an improvement over just keeping the Bumpy Back. And in between, we tested the option of trying to keep the right shoulder complex back if a particular golfer had over-the top tendencies.

SO, simply stated, the "IT" in "KEEP IT BACK" is really an allowable variable as to which of the three options ie, Bumpy, entire back, or right (rear) shoulder complex should be emphasized.

If you are interested, in a subsequent post I will expand on the degree of additional lower body stability each option produces, and the impact body configuration and weight distribution have on the efficacy of the overall swing including balance and kinematic sequencing.

Sincerely,
art

Keeping the right shoulder and hip back longer is much easier if you shallow the club during this interval. If you are too steep you have little chance of this working.

Good stuff Art.

art

New
Calling Art

I saw your post below on another thread and thought it would be great if you would expand on the options you mention, and the consequences in terms of balance and sequencing.

Also, whilst there are differences in the KIB, did you test variations in the BB at address or is this always the right hip?

Many thanks

Dear birly-shirly,

Mea culpa, mea culpa for the length of this response.

Thanks for starting this thread. I feel and hope many who visit here can add their experiences for the benefit of all of us. So it is with that spirit that I answer your questions AND REQUEST THAT THOSE CAPABLE OF ANY FUTURE TESTING ADD TO AND POST THE RESULTS OF THEIR EXPERIENCES.

It’s easy to address the second question first, and YES, the rear hip is ALWAYS the side that must be slightly closed to increase the lower body dynamic balance and stability 'potential' and to 'pre-activate' the subsequent back swing and down swing motions. As to your inference of 'how much?’ this too is a personal and golfer unique characteristic.

FOR SURE, IT MUST be closed to some degree for everyone so (1) the swing has a consistent starting point, and (2) there is no ‘slack’ in the lower body to upper body interface. In science/engineering terms, this is usually called ‘dead band’ and you might recognize the feeling of uncertainty if in your car you had ‘slop’ in the steering mechanism.

As a suggestion, and using the "Awareness Instruction" methodology of learning described by Dr. Tim Gallwey in "The Inner Game of Golf", try varying rear hip BB positions of say 1, 2-or 3 inches from 'square’, and select the one that produces the best results for you after youe 'awareness' after the shot confirmed it was a 1, 2 or 3, as you desired..

As for the much more encompassing question and offer I made to discuss some options and consequences in terms of balance and sequencing, I will discuss examples of two of the most dramatic performance changes, and WHY they worked.

I will call these folks Golfer A, and Golfer B

Golfer A played in college, went on to get a Phd in Kinesiology, continues to play regularly, is a plus handicap golfer, and is a professor in a major university. For him, a 1-2 inch change in his BB starting position made significant improvements in his ball striking performance.

Unfortunately, neither force plates, nor a 3D, 6DOF system was available, but a Flightscope launch monitor recorded 5 Iron carry distance changes from 172 to 192 yards, and 'dispersion' decreases from 12 plus/minus 7 yards, to 6 plus/minus 4 yards after 10 shots with his normal swing, and 10 shots with the standard BBKIB instruction.

Golfer B, a mini tour player several decades ago, and now a professor/instructor at a Golf Academy had become VERY FULL FIGURED, and had added at least 50 pounds to his playing weight of 170-180 pounds, mostly up front. As you have probably guessed, he was still trying to swing the same way, and did not appreciate how much the additional weight AND GEOMETRY were affecting his ability to become and stay dynamically balanced. Simply he could not, and was on an endless journey trying to make the old swing work.

In this case, a Dynamic Balance System (DBS) was available, however not in a location where a launch monitor or 3D 6DOF system could also be used and synchronized with the force plates, a VERY DESIRABLE configuration for stability research. The DBS indicated a major movement in golfer B’s ‘center of pressure’ well out of the dynamic stability zone (base of support) suggested by the manufacturer (approximately the support area described by the outline of the feet with straight lines connecting the toes and the heels).

From the analytical work, this abnormal ‘center of pressure’ trace clearly indicated a major dynamic balance and stability problem, especially when time correlated with the upper and lower body positions during the downswing. So, the solution for this condition required a major BB set-up change, and make sure the upper body and ‘new’ 50 pound addition were at least ‘biased’ towards and hopefully INTO the ‘base of support’, BUT MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY WOULD REMAIN WITHIN THE BASE OF SUPPORT UNTIL IMPACT.

For golfer B, BBKIB, then became, Bumpy Back Keep It (the right shoulder complex) Back. This change allowed the entire trail side to be delayed slightly, (probably also improving the kinematic sequencing) as the lead side rotated counter clockwise during the down swing and ‘pulled the trail side into the overall lower body rotation, FINALLY STAYING WITHIN THE ACCEPTABLE BASE OF SUPPORT.

In addition, if we were able to measure it, IMO, the instantaneous screw axis of rotation of golfer B’s lower body with the trail side delayed, would also have changed and help to FURTHER keep the ‘center of pressure’ within the base of support and attain our PRIMARY goal of significantly increased dynamic stability.

Several days later golfer B was able to do some testing on a Flightscope launch monitor and reported that with the new set-up, his initial tests on the driver and several other clubs indicated 5-10 percent increases in carry distance and 30-40 percent decreases in lateral miss distance and dispersion from the BB and right shoulder complex KIB.

So in conclusion, as I have noted in several other posts, Brian M, Jon Hardesty, Billie McKinney and Chris Como have had personal experience with BBKIB with and without launch monitors, including a few of their students too. I hope if they have found it a positive experience, BBKIB in various forms will find its way somehow into Project 1.68 TESTING with integrated systems (similar to those of Mike Jacobs) to help turn these dynamic stability ‘hypotheses into ‘golf truths’.

Sincerely,
art

Art,

I own a Flightscope, so have the ability to measure a few things. I am happy to be a 'test pilot' to help quantify the effects of BBKIB.
I think I have a handle on the BBKIB basics but will review all of your BBKIB contributions thus far.

What testing protocol would you recommend? Presumably X shots with no BBKIB and then X shots with no other change other than introducing BBKIB as best I can.

What would the dependent variable be? What data would you like to see?

Many thanks Art!

Would you be willing to expand on what factors would lead you to ask a golfer to focus on keeping back the "bumpy", the entire back, or the trail shoulder?

Do you hypothesise different consequences for each respective area of emphasis? Are there pros and cons to each?

Thanks again

art

New
Art,

I own a Flightscope, so have the ability to measure a few things. I am happy to be a 'test pilot' to help quantify the effects of BBKIB.
I think I have a handle on the BBKIB basics but will review all of your BBKIB contributions thus far.

What testing protocol would you recommend? Presumably X shots with no BBKIB and then X shots with no other change other than introducing BBKIB as best I can.

Dear Geoff,

You are a jewel to offer to increase our experience data base regarding BBKIB.

Seeing from your videos, your set-up, and good weather I hope you will soon be able to run some tests yourself, but also, and of additional value will be tests of students/others not yet aware of BBKIB potential.

In your case, you have been generous enough, from what I have read in your responses to try almost everything I have suggested, and my 'single/small' concern is asking you to revert BACK to a NON BBKIB swing of the past as a baseline. BUT, PLEASE DO YOUR BEST to 'baseline' a 10 swing data file with the driver, (and at least a 5-7 iron too), followed by a 10 swing package employing at least the standard BBKIB, and any other rear shoulder, or total torso KIB series you feel will help YOU.

For others reading this, 10 swing files are required for 'statistical stability' involving the means/medians and one sigma calculations by either Flightscope, Trackman or EXCEL replications of the data. CAUTION, for high handicap players, 15-20 swings of each may be required for this data stability AND PLEASE INCLUDE ALL SWINGS ONCE RECORDING STARTS.

While some may be concerned with 'bad swing' contamination, these trials are MUCH MORE INFORMATIVE in analyzing the error generating causes/effects of that particular swing, so please include all attempts.

As for the parameters to document, just send/post the launch monitor matrices produced by their standard software. For an overview, I have particular interest in ball velocity, smash factor, carry distance, lateral miss distance, spin rate/direction AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the calculated 'means' and standard deviations.

If requested I am willing to comment in detail what EVERY parameter means to me in understanding the data from JUST these matrices. Naturally, in the future, when 'blessed' with synchronized force plates, 3D/6DOF, electromyographical and high speed video data, a 'complete' story will be capable of being told.

BUT, just the Flightscope data is fine for now.

Thanks again for volunteering.

Appreciatively,
art

art

New
Many thanks Art!

Would you be willing to expand on what factors would lead you to ask a golfer to focus on keeping back the "bumpy", the entire back, or the trail shoulder?

Do you hypothesise different consequences for each respective area of emphasis? Are there pros and cons to each?

Thanks again

Dear birly-shirly,

WOW, I really appreciate your in-depth interest and questions, and to be able to communicate more efficiently, have tried to learn more about you from the 'profile' section without success.

So, could you please PM me with a little bit of your background to help me focus my responses ? Mine can be found here in summary, but on 'that other site' in detail, as I sought (unfortunately unsuccessfully) to stir up some BBKIB interest with what I thought could be an objective additional group of folks seeking 'golf truth'.

Back to your questions, but for now, and as a general overview, the factors that indicate to me where the dominant 'dynamic imbalances' may be coming from are best 'seen' from a combination of force plate and launch monitor data. Of course, absent those, visual/video, and a good memory or documenting of where the golf ball went, and HOW IT GOT THERE, are usually sufficient to get started.

A 'cheaper' and good-enough 'litmus' test for stability is simply observing the activity of the feet, during the back swing, down swing, follow thru, and yes for a few seconds UNTIL THE GOLF BALL LANDS. Another GREAT piece of information is how the golf ball 'moves after impact' with the ground, for at least the next bounce, as the spin axis and rate affect the post impact ball trajectory.

So as admittedly a sweeping summary in answer to your questions, the degree of dynamic instability shows up in any of the golfers major elements (ie. lower body, upper body and shoulder complexes) as path and position 'errors' for what we all can recognize as an UNSTABLE swing (with undesirable results). But these swings we often dismiss are the very swings with the most content and evidence of where the compensations/corrections should be made.

I am indebted to my college baseball coach whose hypothesis and coaching dogma was, "correcting the most obvious error at any level of competence will produce well over half of the remaining ability to improve".

There NEVER have been more appropriate words to follow in my passion for seeking 'golf truth' starting with dynamic balance and stability control.

Sincerely,
art

Dear birly-shirly,

WOW, I really appreciate your in-depth interest and questions, and to be able to communicate more efficiently, have tried to learn more about you from the 'profile' section without success.

So, could you please PM me with a little bit of your background to help me focus my responses ? Mine can be found here in summary, but on 'that other site' in detail, as I sought (unfortunately unsuccessfully) to stir up some BBKIB interest with what I thought could be an objective additional group of folks seeking 'golf truth'.[...]

Hi Art - I'm not sure what I could tell you by way of background that would be much help, and none of it's private anyway. I'm not a teacher, nor am I a scientist or an engineer by education or training. I don't have access to any high-end equipment such for ball-flight, club or motion analysis. I'm not one of the "value-add" guys here - but I do find this stuff interesting.

If you think you can answer my questions in non-technical language, then you certainly don't need to worry about talking down to me.

If this isn't the sort of background you were looking for, feel free to PM me with an idea of what would be useful and I'll be happy to oblige.

Thanks again for taking the time.

art

New
Art,

Dear Goeff,

Any progress with your 'independent' test program ??

Sincerely,
art

Remember folks...the torso should start rotating FASTER than the pelvis at left arm level.

Bumpy back helps that a bunch.

Left arm level meaning parallel to the ground on the DS? If that is so what would you recommend that a senior player do who can barely get the backswing to a position where the left arm is parallel to the ground?

Hey Art,

Wanted to thank you for the BBKIB idea. One unexpected thing it fixed was my early extension. For some reason, when I do BBKIP, I can rotate my hips pretty quickly and not have to worry (too much) about early extending. Not sure why it works, but it sure does. Thank you!

art

New
Hey Art,

Wanted to thank you for the BBKIB idea. One unexpected thing it fixed was my early extension. For some reason, when I do BBKIP, I can rotate my hips pretty quickly and not have to worry (too much) about early extending. Not sure why it works, but it sure does.
Thank you!

Dear Gravedigga,

Thanks for your kind comments, and I can add a few thoughts based on test experiences.

One of the results of using BBKIB, is that the location in the bodies center of gravity, 'bias's' its movement during the back and down swing such that the bodies natural balancing systems (yes, plural), allow more energy, and faster rotations to take place.The irony, and paradox, is that very soon after realizing improved balance, the 'desire' of EVERY golfer to add even more energy can not be suppressed.

So, even more BB is required until the golfer finds the 'best' amount of energy that satisfies BOTH their distance AND accuracy/repeatability requirements; its an 'iterative' and self 'optimizing' process.

The extension you were experiencing IMO, was because of involuntary reflex reactions to the dynamic imbalances your original set up and swing were creating. Regarding the absence of , (or discernibly less) 'extension', with BBKIB, this is simply the result of the internal balance systems satisfaction with the NEW and IMPROVED dynamic conditions.

Finally, any chance you could change your 'handle' ??; I just had my 79 th birthday, feel (and act) like 19 frequently, and don't want to even think about anything that could shorten this passion I have for golf and life.

Thanks again for responding.

Sincerely,
art

Dear Gravedigga,

Thanks for your kind comments, and I can add a few thoughts based on test experiences.

One of the results of using BBKIB, is that the location in the bodies center of gravity, 'bias's' its movement during the back and down swing such that the bodies natural balancing systems (yes, plural), allow more energy, and faster rotations to take place.The irony, and paradox, is that very soon after realizing improved balance, the 'desire' of EVERY golfer to add even more energy can not be suppressed.

So, even more BB is required until the golfer finds the 'best' amount of energy that satisfies BOTH their distance AND accuracy/repeatability requirements; its an 'iterative' and self 'optimizing' process.

The extension you were experiencing IMO, was because of involuntary reflex reactions to the dynamic imbalances your original set up and swing were creating. Regarding the absence of , (or discernibly less) 'extension', with BBKIB, this is simply the result of the internal balance systems satisfaction with the NEW and IMPROVED dynamic conditions.

Finally, any chance you could change your 'handle' ??; I just had my 79 th birthday, feel (and act) like 19 frequently, and don't want to even think about anything that could shorten this passion I have for golf and life.

Thanks again for responding.

Sincerely,
art

It's so true about the desire to add more energy. I have to keep myself from swinging too hard because it's so easy to do so now! Happy Birthday and thanks again.

Dear art,

Happy Birthday!

I continue to follow your postings with interest. Thank you for your contributions.

God bless and keep you and your wife.

Sincerely,
A fellow drinker at golf's fountain of youth.

Art, I'd like to pow-wow with you again down at Marbella. BBKIB works like a charm for so many people. Maybe we can get a few of my students to participate in a clinic.

art

New
Dear art,

Happy Birthday!

I continue to follow your postings with interest. Thank you for your contributions.

God bless and keep you and your wife.

Sincerely,
A fellow drinker at golf's fountain of youth.

Dear Vortex,

Thank you for your kind words and especially the blessing; God has been very important and generous with our lives.

The depth of sincerity of those responding to the death of Michael Finney's mom, and your note here are great examples of the high quality and fullness of life you and other participants who frequent this site display.

Appreciatively,
art

Status
Not open for further replies.