Bush Fires In Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope all the friends of this site in Victoria, Australia are safe and well after the worst bush fires in history there.

Whilst I don't live anywhere near the fires, which are still a danger in many areas, friends of ours have one of only two houses remaining in their area. They live in Kinglake West, which has seen huge distruction and, very sadly, loss of life. Another town in the area, Marysville, has only one building left standing. I have a feeling that the death count will only rise as the emergency services go through the wreckage.

Listening to the media, even people who were prepared and had a fire plan were caught out by the speed and ferocity of the fires. Many had the fire pass them, only to turn back as the winds changed late on Saturday. We have much cooler temperatures and some rain forecast this week, so hopefully that will help those fighting the fires.

I moved here from the UK nearly 4 years ago, and so bush fires were completely new to me. The weather conditions here, hot and windy, make bush fire a harsh fact of life. In fact much of the vegetation seems to need the fire and it is amazing how quickly new growth starts after the fire. But seeing the events of the weekend on TV, and knowing people involved, has been very upsetting.

As I am sure Brian is only too aware, rebuilding after the disaster is the really difficult part. 1000's have been left homeless, with only the belongings that they could fit into the car. Services such as electricity and telecommunications are down, and for the time being we can't even get into the fire effected areas as the police are treating them as crime scenes. As incomprehensible as it may seem, it is possible that some of these fires were deliberately started, making those responsible mass murderers.

Sad times indeed, and it will take a long time for many to get back on their feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.