Camcorder question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
I am looking at buying the Sanyo FH1.I am very impressed by the 1080p 60fps which no other camcorder can offer.

Is 60 fps enough to comfortably capture a shot of impact?

I know the FH1 can do 240 and 600 fps also but apparently these modes have no manual shutter so it will be hard to get clear shots without perfect lighting.

I am looking at buying the Sanyo FH1.I am very impressed by the 1080p 60fps which no other camcorder can offer.

I know the FH1 can do 240 and 600 fps also but apparently these modes have no manual shutter so it will be hard to get clear shots without perfect lighting.

I had this camera and sent it back to get the casio. It's a blur at the 1080p no shot at impact or seeing the club in slow motion. The Sanyos slow motion seemed more grainy as well and needed more light than the casio. The casio has a 210 setting that works about right and with setting the shutter at 1/2000 the club is real clear. The camcorder portion and HD may be better but I wanted the camera for golf swings. Also the Sanyo seemed harder to move the clips over and used software that I thought was slow and an extra step.

Hope this helps.

ej20

New
I had this camera and sent it back to get the casio. It's a blur at the 1080p no shot at impact or seeing the club in slow motion. The Sanyos slow motion seemed more grainy as well and needed more light than the casio. The casio has a 210 setting that works about right and with setting the shutter at 1/2000 the club is real clear. The camcorder portion and HD may be better but I wanted the camera for golf swings. Also the Sanyo seemed harder to move the clips over and used software that I thought was slow and an extra step.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information.

Looks like I will have to wait until a suitable model comes out.The Casio FH20 is too big and heavy to carry around while the FC100 has no manual shutter.

Casio now makes a pocket version that is awsome, the FC100 fits in your pocket goes 1000/fps but is best at 210 or 420 and works with V1. it runs under 300 bucks.
I love mine.

Hope this helps.

Bolt,

I have the casio and really haven't played with it enough yet, silly me. Do you ever use the 420 setting? If so what shutter?? So, Do you prefer the 210 setting over all others? Thanks for your help.

-VJ

ggsjpc

New
I've got an fh20 and use the 420 almost exclusively. I only use the 1000fps when showing putting impact or swing path impact. I think Brian had a vid of impact from dtl and you can clearly see how the club is moving into the ball. You can toggle it right on the screen. Best piece of equipment purchased this year.

I've got an fh20 and use the 420 almost exclusively. I only use the 1000fps when showing putting impact or swing path impact. I think Brian had a vid of impact from dtl and you can clearly see how the club is moving into the ball. You can toggle it right on the screen. Best piece of equipment purchased this year.

Do you turn that shutter all the way up to 40k? I'd love to go outside today and give it a whirl, but I think I got what Brian got..not feeling so well:(

Bolt,

I have the casio and really haven't played with it enough yet, silly me. Do you ever use the 420 setting? If so what shutter?? So, Do you prefer the 210 setting over all others? Thanks for your help.

-VJ

Hey veej,

sorry you havnt been using the Casio, it is very cool! I actually have not used the 420 setting with any regularity. To me setting the 210 gps and 1/2000 shutter gives me all the clarity I need. I can also film in less than bright conditions with this setting and the 1/2000 let's me see the club head the best. The 420 may give more frames per second but it is a little more grainy to me.

I will try 420 out a little more since John uses it and let you know.

Post some swings! It's been a while and I'd like to see the transformation. Especially since the scores are going down! Keep up the good work.

Steve

Hey veej,

sorry you havnt been using the Casio, it is very cool! I actually have not used the 420 setting with any regularity. To me setting the 210 gps and 1/2000 shutter gives me all the clarity I need. I can also film in less than bright conditions with this setting and the 1/2000 let's me see the club head the best. The 420 may give more frames per second but it is a little more grainy to me.

I will try 420 out a little more since John uses it and let you know.

Post some swings! It's been a while and I'd like to see the transformation. Especially since the scores are going down! Keep up the good work.

Steve

Thanks man, I appreciate the time. Will do on the swing post, I need a little more time to practice what Brian gave me. I just had a lesson a couple of days ago. Let me know what you think on the 420.

Take care,
VeeJ:D

bbftx

New

I have the Sanyo FH1 and really like the camera. The 1080 high def modes are very good quality for a $400 camera. You need a very capable PC to edit and play the 1920x1080p 60 fps hi def though.

For golf, the 240 fps slo-mo mode is the one to use. Although it's not hi-def, the frame rate is much better at giving you the whole swing. With 30, or even 60 fps, you will often miss moment of impact. Frame size is 448x336. It's not perfect, and there will be something better next year of course, but it's a pretty good way to capture swings now.

Here are some hand held clips of a friend of mine, using the 240 fps frame rate.

edit: Here's a link to download the file. Youtube degrades the quality of the images.
files.me.com/bril/gwt1l0.mov

Last edited:

bbftx

New
Casio Exilim EX-FC100 takes 210fps-1000fps. It's about the size of a cell phone and only costs $230 on Amazon.com

There are a number of these cameras, including the Sanyo, that will shoot at 400, or 600 or 1000 fps. The problem is that the frame size gets too small to give usable images. The Casio's frame size at 1000 fps is only 224 by 64 pixels. All of the cameras are pretty bad above 250 fps. Anything smaller than about 400x300 pixels just isn't usable for a golf swing really. And 200 to 250 frames per second is more than enough for good swing analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.