Can hips move too fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finding that I am losing power and that my left hip is very open at impact. When I toe in my left foot, I tend to hit much better shots. It seems to slow down my hip rotation. Does this make any sense and what do you suggest to cure my hip problem long term?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The hips can definately move too soon and too fast. The toe in, slows the hips and allows you to snap your change better. Long term id learn to turn your hips more so the dont run away from you in the transition. They'll center first and then open.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Steve, the only reason I would disagree is, while it may slow them down, it also lessens the chance of them sliding enough staying closed or square so they might spin to compensate. But its all worth a try.

They either pull (or deliver) the power package or they dont. There is no too fast or too slow. It's all relative to how and when the pp is delivered.

Steve, the only reason I would disagree is, while it may slow them down, it also lessens the chance of them sliding enough staying closed or square so they might spin to compensate. But its all worth a try.

Widening the stance could also increase the chance of injury to the lead hip and lower back in trying to get the hips left enough, right?

This is one of those posts that illustrate the difficulty of constructing a valid answer. Not enough facts provided and then there is the issue of what the golfer feels versus what is actually happening. Video would be a big help.
Then Kevin and the other instructors could offer specific advise.

My thought about wider stance was made from personal experience. My tendency is to get lazy, and end up swinging, let's say Driver, with a too narrow stance. To me any tip like, try wider, or try more narrow, should be
taken as try it incrementally, a little at a time.

I have a little theory - anyone agree somewhat with this?

The hips don't really "turn" in the dowswing. They "stagger". I'll explain:

First, the hips turn in the backswing.

Then the right hip stays where it's at initially and then the left hip returns back to the wall (the Snead squat).

Then the right hip moves basically laterally to where the left hip was, while the left hip turns out of the way.

Thoughts?

Dariusz J.

I have a little theory - anyone agree somewhat with this?

The hips don't really "turn" in the dowswing. They "stagger". I'll explain:

First, the hips turn in the backswing.

Then the right hip stays where it's at initially and then the left hip returns back to the wall (the Snead squat).

Then the right hip moves basically laterally to where the left hip was, while the left hip turns out of the way.

Thoughts?

A good description. Hips (think: pelvis) do not just turn as a unit despite pelvis is a firm frame - humans are bipedals. Both hip joints move differently and independently in the motion while combining linear and rotational substance.
IMO, the most effective and repetitive scenario of the pelvis area motion is when the linear part preceeds, or better said, forces and boosts the rotational part.

Cheers

Ok, I'll bite.

"Then the right hip moves basically laterally to where the left hip was, while the left hip turns out of the way."

So I looked at 6 Professional Driver down the line Driver videos in my line drawing program. Ultra slow speed. Put in an orientation line for reference.
None of these examples return the right hip to where the left hip was at address. Right hip ends up closer to the target line than the left hip was at address.

I am familiar with the cheek on the wall description. I used that as a swing thought at some point in the near distant past. The sequence is difficult to practice, because in actuality it is one continuous motion.

Very recently I have been experimenting with the right foot, knee, leg, and hip and doing some looking at power swings of past and present. As of today, I am of the belief that that those parts of the body are big key's to the pivot and getting the hips to move correctly and not too fast. Over at Richie's forum we're talking about COG's and footwork and I'm getting alot out of it. I have a tendency to TRY and spin out too fast with the upper body and lower body and not have the footwork to support that turn and torque. Focusing on footwork, along with MANY other things seem to help. I'm hitting it alot better than the end of last year.

One thing that HH has done with Tiger is calm down Tiger's right foot, leg, and hip and at times, when he doesn't lay the club off too much, he really hits some great iron shots. I think this may be one of the reasons why??? Butch was trying to get rid of Tiger's "ole' hips" for a long time and never really did, so Hank's got that going for him:)

Hips

Thanks Kevin, guys,
Kevin, I have always tried to restrict my hip turn on back swing. Are you saying that I should try to turn my hips more on the back swing? Thanks again for your suggestions.
Jimmy

When I went to see Brian, I shared with him that I had taken a lesson up in Michigan where the instructor told me I should restrict my hip turn. He went so far as hooking his finger and in my lead hip belt loop and pulling during practice backswings.

I don't think I ever actually followed that advice, but Brian's reaction was that
it was Baloney, or words to that effect.

According to Brian's videos and the forum, one of his preferences is step on the left, step on the right and turn the right hip back, or words to that effect.

Hey Jimmy,
Here's an iron swing of Alvaro Quiros. I like his footwork(especially the rear foot action) and pivot, he's very efficient with every move and he just KILLS it. Enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6_xgo_ik1Q[/media]

I'm having some problems with my hip turn. Is the idea the the hips move more laterally to the point of impact before they turn out of the way? Alternatively should the hips be moving diagonally at the beginning of the downswing or begin turning at the start of the downswing? Thanks.

joep

New
I seen on the senior pro tour one pro said he was taught to hit the ball with his right hip. Is there any validity to that?

Is there anything wrong with using your hips to swing the club. Like right hip back and left hip pulling the club down to the ball. If the answer is no ,then why? thanks...joe

Last edited:
I had the same experience as softconsult. My second lesson was Brian really working on getting me to use my hips more and not restrict the turn on the backswing so much. I didn't realize how little hip turn I had. It's funny, but it has taken moving on to other things and circling back to this and all of a sudden this year I feel like I can turn my hips much more freely now.

And as softconsult also said, the notion of stepping on your right foot to start the backswing and on the left to start the downswing is all about using your hips to lead the swing from the ground up.

Status
Not open for further replies.