Can you teach a student effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you teach a student effort? Have a college player who has a decent junior year and want to play professionally. He thinks he is doing the game a service by practicing for an hour. Motivating a student is one thing but putting the time in is another thing. Looking forward to hearing your responses.

ZAP

New
Brings me to my "Tree of Life" analogy..

1. Some are content to look at it's beauty
2. Some climb in it's branches
3. Some wait for fruit to fall out.
4. Some get a ladder and pick the fruit
5. Some ask others to get them fruit
6. Some cut the tree down and sell the wood.
7. Some lie under the tree and enjoy the shade.
8. Some grab the tree and shake it to see what falls out.

My answer......no. All you can do is point to others who have succeeded and show how much time an effort they put in. It is up to the student to decide if they want it.

"A lot of people fail to recognize a great opportunity because it's often dressed in overalls and looks a lot like work."

What is there to teach? It's not really a comprehension issue, is it? We're not talking about working smarter, or more effectively, or the quality of information? Just basic application.

What you could do is refer the student to something like The Talent Code or Talent is Overrated, or Bounce. And if he can't be bothered to read a whole book, maybe show him that youtube clip where Butch is on with "good Tiger", saying that the hardest worker Butch had ever seen in golf was Greg Norman. Until Tiger, that is. If that pair had to graft, then I don't know what to say to someone who thinks they'll get by on native talent.

I grew up in a home where dinner was a sometimes thing and heat in the winter wasn't a sure bet either. My old man worked on the railroad when he wasnt drunk and he was illiterate his whole life. Finally smoked and drank his way outta here before I was 16, and we borrowed money to lay him to rest. NObody in the family made it past the 10th grade other than moi...I have a Masters Degree, am a PGA Master Professional, a 7-time PGA award winner and the Director of Golf at a world class facility. When I see young men and women of priveledge and talent squander their good fortune, I want to throw up. Ole Sam Clemens said it best: "The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you can do other than tell then what they do now will mean they will be a good club pro/state amateur.

But if they want to be more than that, you are ready to help them when they are ready.

A lot of people work hard, really hard for 10-15 years to become overnight successes.

Here's my reason for saying yes:

Have you ever had a college professor that put passion into teaching? A teacher that could teach the subject up/down left and right blindfolded. A professor that was there to teach, not to get paid. I had an accounting professor that was just flat out an AMAZING instructor and he was TOUGH. I WANTED to work HARDER to make him PROUD. So yes, "you can teach a student effort."

Status
Not open for further replies.