Catching rain or Knuckles down Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, I'm really trying to ingrain this in to my swing. When its good its real good. When its not, I'm extremely steep, slightly flat, and deeper divots. Could this be ball position or tempo? Any drills to reinforce and master this knuckles down position? Thanks!

hcw

New
"Catching rain or Knuckles down"

i have seen this several times lately, what does it mean?...tia!

-hcw

quote:Originally posted by hcw

-hcw

rotating your left arm through impact so your knckles face the ground afte impact and your plam face up. It's real hard for us left wrist breakers and ones that already hit it left.

BUT, I was able to hit a fade with a driver with all that rotation.

hcw

New
quote:Originally posted by wanole

quote:Originally posted by hcw

-hcw

rotating your left arm through impact so your knckles face the ground afte impact and your plam face up. It's real hard for us left wrist breakers and ones that already hit it left.

BUT, I was able to hit a fade with a driver with all that rotation.

thanks!...hmmm (mental image of swing playing in head)...uh, exactly where after impact should this be achieved?

-hcw

EdZ

New
check ball position first if that is the case, but sounds like you still have some left wrist breakdown to me - twistaway and extensor action and more of a crossline hip motion (see Mike Austin) - a touch more, should help IMO.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Corky....

When you get to the top of your backswing your shoulders and hips are turned correct? shoulders somewhere in the 70-90* range and hips somewhere in the 45-75* range.

When your hips are turned they are pointed more towards right field correct? When instead of trying to bump and turn them TOWARDS the target you do that bump TOWARDS RIGHT FIELD.

So you are bumping "across" the plane line. Hence cross-line.

Make sense?

-----------

Also let me add something to EdZ's comments.
I have a feeling you are keeping the arms too stiff after impact and are blocking it with the driver and with the irons you are hitting the outside part of the ball instead of the inside back corner thus going left.

Look at the never slice again article and notice how bent brian's arms arm when he gets that full roll. I have a problem with this time to time where i get too stiff and i dont get a good roll and i block it right with the driver

EdZ

New
Corky - think of moving your right hip 'back' over your 'right cheek' - Brian's description of this is 'cracking your right nut', but I like the 'sit on your right cheek' move, doesn't sound as painful eh?

So right hip back over right heel, through 'to right field' a touch, think 45 degrees - through over left toes should keep you from overdoing it.

That motion is really big key, very helpful in a number of areas.

Thanks for the clarification. Would you say that the bump and corresponding turning of the hips on the downswing, that the hips are square and facing the ball at impact? Or, slightly open? What keeps us from spinning out? Keeping your butt on the "tush line"? I feel like I am spinning out when my hips open too much. I seem to blade/thin the shot. Thanks again for all the input. I know its early in the season, but , I'm stuck on 39 to 41 for nine holes. The ball striking is the problem, because the putting and short game stats are strong. The knocking the golf ball off the golf course is the problem.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by corky05

Thanks for the clarification. Would you say that the bump and corresponding turning of the hips on the downswing, that the hips are square and facing the ball at impact? Or, slightly open? What keeps us from spinning out? Keeping your butt on the "tush line"? I feel like I am spinning out when my hips open too much. I seem to blade/thin the shot. Thanks again for all the input. I know its early in the season, but , I'm stuck on 39 to 41 for nine holes. The ball striking is the problem, because the putting and short game stats are strong. The knocking the golf ball off the golf course is the problem.

No...the hips should be pretty open at impact. What keeps you from spinning out is an onplane right shoulder. If you are moving your tailbone ahead of your head you are going to drive the right shoulder downplane instead of above the plane. So when it goes downplane it keeps your shoulders the "square look" while your hips are "open" at impact.

If your right shoulder isn't driving downplane that means you have too much "out" and too much "foward" and not enough "down." Thats why you are thinning shots, you don't have enough of the "down" yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.