Causes of Throwaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at some of the video tips on Ben Doyle's web site. He seems to talk about "over acceleration" a lot. I have a couple of questions related to over acceleration:

1. Is "over acceleration" another way to talk about club head throwaway?

2. Is "over acceleration"/throwaway corrected mainly by a proper pivot? I am thinking here of Doyle's chip-pitch-punch sequence, which seems to be mainly about using the pivot properly. This would fit very snugly with BM's "hit it with your pivot."

1. Yes. Over accel of the hands, specifically. (past the plane of the left forearm)

2. That is about half the battle, I would think. Firstly your clubface CANNOT be too open. Cause every golfer has some sense of the clubface...if they want to hit it straight they are gonna do "1" (above) like heck to try to do that. (from a hand/clubface position they can sense is too open)

BTW...check out this swing (member of our forum, as you will see) to see one example of a good, dynamic pivot...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SLiJF1n5nE[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mrEIJ8llJc[/media]

(From this thread: http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/golfing-discussions/13944-help-brian-manzella.html)

He really casts the lure.

Swings the hammer. (Hammer Throw)

Shoots the marble out of the tube.

His arms I bet are pretty loose in the shoulders.

And he really uses the pivot to swing those loose arms. (they swing like a SWING-set...:))

Of course there is more one way to do it when you get into the specifics of any given player's intent/action. (specific shoulder/hip/leg/arm use whether deliberate or not...used in tandem and deliberately or not...etc.)

But for sure the pivot must in reality use "it's own muscles" to move itself. (I presume everyone can agree on that) The arms do their own thing (bending/turning/swinging from the shoulder as if you were "clearing a table" in a rage ;)), but they also follow the pivot. They are swung by themselves I think (table clear) but also by the pivot.

Flung around by the pivot.

Flailed around by the pivot. (again- "the pivot" wholly or somehow/somewhat seperately, in a more "parts"-isolated way)

Etc.

Bottom line is I think if the arms take on a "follower" role in the backswing...they mostly are more apt to also be pulled by "the pivot" in the downswing.

And the more you can use that dynamic (arms follow pivot) to your advantage the more you probably will be able to resist over-accelerating the hands.

Within reason though of course...for example, not everyone will do the LCT (lagging clubhead takeaway) like the videos above. I have never been able to do it to THAT degree. Probably largely because my release is not as late as his. And maybe because my grip is weaker.

There could be lots of reasons though. At some point for a person a LCT will simply get "sloppy", if you know what I mean. Forced. At some point more rigid.

(you can of course overdo anything, as Brian has said)

I guess the short answer would be go watch Flipper. But that's OK I haven't written a post like this in a while. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.