Champions tour Q-school Final Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,
I was a walking scorer yesterday at the the final stage of q-school and I wanted to share a few observations.
First I am now a huge fan of James Mason. This guy has game, he was 4 under but could have easily been 8 under if a few putts had dropped. I don't think he ever missed a fairway and had at least 10 opportunities for birdie of 10 feet or less, but that is not why I am a fan;
one of the things I learned about the Champions tour is that they all take carts, not a few, all of them!
I was walking with the headset, computer pack and radio, not heavy but very uncomfortable. James made sure to walk the first Hole with me, introduce himself and chat me up a few times during the day, not enough to disturb his round, but enough to let a volunteer know that he appreciated you taking the time to score for people who are not tour stars.
I am now a fan!
I thought about naming the other 2 in the group but decided against it. I will tell you however that a known but not overly successful former tour player did not acknowledge my existence for 16 holes but then on our 17th hole during a delay (some guy had a seizure on another hole, not a player) he spoke to me for about 5 minutes and that was pretty cool. The other guy in the group has had some Champions success, I think a few wins and never even tipped his hat to me. Not a word, no eye contact at all!
when all was done I had to go into the scorers tent with them to verify their scores and only Mason thanked me.
When you are a scorer you basically are on the tee with the group but after that you try to keep about 10 yards between you and the players. I made a point to stay on cart paths by the greens because I did not want to distract them in anyway.
I can tell you that while I witnessed some really good golf, -4,-2 and E it is a thankless task and absolutely no fun at all to spend 5 hours watching journeymen grind for a shot at survival of their careers and I completely understand why they don't have enough volunteers.
I was a volunteer at the Honda classic from 1989 to 1995 on the range. I can tell you that I met all the top stars and they were always gracious and even entertaining at times. A real tour event is a completely different animal.
I wanted to meet Bobby Clampett but that didn't happen either, I think they got stuck behind the guy with the seizure and I was ready to go home. BTW the guy was OK.
Ric

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Working the range is the ONLY way I volunteer. All that other stuff, especially walking scorer are no fun at all. The range is the best opportunity to see the players up close and see how they interact with each other and how they prepare for a round.

I went back today as a spectator (it's at my club). I got to meet Bobby Clampett and he did indeed sign my copy of his book! I walked a few holes chatting with his wife. She is a very nice lady. It looks like they may be neighbors for the winter, I hope to see him around.
Also James Mason continues to play solid sitting at 12th place.

Was he wearing knickers? I’ve played with (and competed against) James for years when he was still competing in the Georgia Section. He wore Plus Fours back in those days as well. Needless to say, we were happy to see him find his way on the Senior Tour! The guy can flat play.

He’s a personable, salt of the earth kind of guy. Most pros who’ve been down the club pro route are very appreciative of the opportunities found on the champions tour. Two other q-school rookies we are rooting for from the Georgia section are Sonny Skinner and Craig Stevens. If they get through then that's two less guys we will have to compete against:)

It's a shame some of these guys cannot even take a few seconds to thank the volunteers for the thankless job that they do. I would be thanking everyone including the specatators.

Status
Not open for further replies.