Chipping Away at the Handicap - What have you observed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good topic.

IMO, there are 3 ways at looking at this...

1. Carrying a proper USGA index. A legit handicap as per the USGA with all scores entered and all rounds played by the rules. From my experience, this way is the "easiest" to obtain and most useless of the lot for determining or judging ones game against a standard. Using this formula I carried a +3.2 index on a 7,000 yard course. The only benefit I ever saw from this was it looked cool on the member index sheet posted at the back of the pro shop. The guys I played with regularly weren't impressed, and the ones I didn’t' play with regularly wanted the "appropriate" number of strokes. There was a false sense of accomplishment being able to right a "+" on an entry form, but that soon faded with the felt expectation of having to shoot a "+" score every time out... and that didn't happen. So the experience I had carrying a by-the-book USGA index was it looked good on paper, but sucked on the course.

2. Carrying an index based on what you shoot when it counts. This is an index based solely on the entered scores from tournament (individual stroke play) rounds and qualifying rounds for tournament rounds. These are the rounds which have your full attention, your best preparation, and the most nerves. These are the scores I shoot when I'm trying to be a golfer. Not a swinger, not an experimenter, not a Ranger Rick, just a pure play-for-score golfer. This is the "system" I use since opting out of the faulty USGA system. As a comparison, my index now fluctuates between +.5 - .5, so basically a 0. A full 3 shots difference, but a much more realistic number.

I bring these two systems up because I think #1 is easier to move in than #2, but #2 is a more accurate representation of you as a golfer. Regardless, for me the “how” has always been mindset and the “how much” has always been how close you are to your ability.

The mindset for me in any sport has always been the determining factor of whether or not I move up to the next rung. And by mindset I mean willing to go from very uncomfortable (borderline embarrassment) to uncomfortable (but optimistic), to comfortable (feel like you belong), to dissatisfied with comfortable (wanting to get on to the next level). The very uncomfortable part is exposing your game to the next level of players, critics, and competition. Nothing like being the worst one in the group, the one picked last. After that initial shot to the nuts wears off, you start to notice and appreciate how this next group play and score. Usually it’s not about stellar mechanics or flawless putting strokes. Eventually you start incorporating these better aspects into your own game and become comfortable on that level. Then hopefully you want to start the whole process over again.

I don’t think I’ve ever gone up a level on the driving range. When I was an 8, I didn’t go to the range, shave 2 strokes by building a better swing, then go out and play to a 6. Sure the swing got better, but that never taught me to score 2 shots better. A better 7 iron swing is just another tool for the toolbox. All my improvements in scoring have come from the course beating the shots out of me.

The closer you get to your ability, the harder and slower it is to improve. Additionally, you have to start spending time just maintaining what you have. Personally, I think I have the potential for one more rung. But the question is do I want to spend the financial, physical, and mental capital to see if I’m right.

And finally....

3. Become an internet golfer. This system lets you set your own level of expertise (usually high to really high to awesome). You can cherry pick your progress from hundreds of filmed swings only selecting the "good" ones as evidence of your improvement. You always get to play from even, level, fluffy lies. Your swing method is always right. And you never have to grind over a 5 footer. You can do very difficult things like Dustin Johnson and try to swing standing on a ball, or just as effective, you can fall over from sitting on a ball and still claim the same feelings as elite golfers. The internet is literally your oyster and the fastest of all ways of becoming a better golfer in your own mind.

The choice is yours… the red pill, the blue pill, or the crazy pill. :rolleyes:

Great post Mike! Option 1 is all I have right now as I have only played 2 competitive rounds in my entire life (both this Summer)... as Option 1 improves or holds and I play more tournaments I can switch to Option 2. Option 3 I'll keep in the back pocket for when they no longer let me out of the asylum to actually play golf.

The mindset for me in any sport has always been the determining factor of whether or not I move up to the next rung. And by mindset I mean willing to go from very uncomfortable (borderline embarrassment) to uncomfortable (but optimistic), to comfortable (feel like you belong), to dissatisfied with comfortable (wanting to get on to the next level).

Competitive round 1 as "very uncomfortable (borderline embarrassment)" is spot on... as is the comment about a shot in the nuts. The days afterwards felt like I kept losing the toss in a never-ending game of Roshambo.

Competitive round 2 was "uncomfortable (but optimistic)" as I was still shaking in my boots, but still played well and missed the cut by a shot.

We shall see what the path to improvement brings... the next step is comfort playing in these tournaments... after that, I look forward to another good swift kick in the gonads if it means another rung up the ladder. Enjoy the climb gents and don't worry about your boys, they are resilient.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
2. Carrying an index based on what you shoot when it counts. This is an index based solely on the entered scores from tournament (individual stroke play) rounds and qualifying rounds for tournament rounds. These are the rounds which have your full attention, your best preparation, and the most nerves. These are the scores I shoot when I'm trying to be a golfer. Not a swinger, not an experimenter, not a Ranger Rick, just a pure play-for-score golfer. This is the "system" I use since opting out of the faulty USGA system. As a comparison, my index now fluctuates between +.5 - .5, so basically a 0. A full 3 shots difference, but a much more realistic number.

Isn't this how the UK system works? Tournament rounds only recorded?

I am a +1.5 (USGA) and -10.5 (Poland). I've had a very difficult time lowering my Polish handicap because I don't have the appropriate rough to practice from, but I asked my super to let a 10/10 ft area of weeds grow on the range. I'm hoping to chop way at my Polish index once it fills in.

Sort of but there is another difference. I believe in the US you take the average of your prev n rounds. In the UK you get cut for every shot you are better then your handicap. A cat 1 player is being cut 0.1, cat 2 0.2 etc per shot.
So let's say you are cat 2 player playing of 8.1 and you shoot a net 3 under. So you get cut 3x0.2=0.6 to 7.5 (playing handicap 8).
Every time you shoot more then your handicap plus buffer you go up by 0.1 again.

What do you see as the difference between you playing as a low capper and a plus golfer? Is it the consistency of ball-striking or short game play, something else that would come from the more practice time? What do you see as the difference between your game and that of a +3 e.g.?

In my case I think the difference is mainly mental, plus short game practice. I need to play frequently enough to gain the confidence to believe I'm a scratch or + handicap. When I'm shooting 75 to 79 I'm in my normal comfort zone, but shooting 68 to 73 I'm usually not. I often go 6 to 18 months without playing. And after a year off I am usually breaking 80 almost immediately. But after a summer of playing twice a week, I always find a way to shoot 3 to 6 over par, even though I'm hitting it well enough to go much lower.

But again, if i could spend 3 days a week on the course rather than the 2 I spent this summer, I'd devote the third to short game practice. Short game is actually a strength for me, but the better it gets the more confident I get in everything else. I hit the ball much better now than I did when I played in college, but back then my short game was never off – if I had an easy up and down I got up and down. Now I'll often have an excellent round but somewhere in the middle I find a way to make 3 bogeys in a row without really missing any shots all that badly.

jimmyt

New
I am a +1.5 (USGA) and -10.5 (Poland). I've had a very difficult time lowering my Polish handicap because I don't have the appropriate rough to practice from, but I asked my super to let a 10/10 ft area of weeds grow on the range. I'm hoping to chop way at my Polish index once it fills in.

I like the reference......reminds me of louder less tolerant days.

Which reminds me.....IMO, it's best to learn how to shoot the lowest you can with the current set of physical tools you have (I.e., mental game and course management). Then it's a thousand times easier to get the handicap down when you make a technical improvement.

Is playing from the red tees to get the feel of shooting lower, then moving back, a way to accomplish this?

EGA (continental Europe) system lets you post practice round scores down to index 4.5, but you have to register a round beforehand as handicap round. From 4.4 down it's tournament rounds only.

Status
Not open for further replies.