Cinderella Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the PGA Tour has changed its rules on gaining Tour Cards through the Nationwide Tour and not Q-School, I was interested to hear how the player's ON THE TOUR feel about the changes.

"If you play good golf, you shouldn't worry about it," said Sam Saunders, Palmer's grandson now playing his rookie Nationwide season. "Go play good golf and everything that's supposed to happen will happen."

I couldn't agree more, Sam. If its supposed to happen, it will happen. All you need is 7 sponsor exemptions per year, an unlimited budget, a membership at Bay Hill and a grandfather that owns the Golf Channel.

Man, if he could just catch a break he might just make it.

I think the idea of 'Tour School' was an antiquated notion that needed to go. Six consecutive days of good golf does not prepare or qualify one for the the rigors of a full PGA tour schedule. I believe consistently performing over a full year on the Nationwide does that. Which brings me to what I don't like about the new format. The fact that top performers on the Nationwide over a full season do not receive PGA tour cards. You have to give at least the top ten money guys their card outright. Merely receiving an invitation to the dance is not enough imo.

Q-School is there to "identify" players good enough to play the tour. It is not there to "prepare or qualify one for the rigors of a full PGA tour schedule". That is up to each player to figure that out for himself.

Q-School is there to "identify" players good enough to play the tour. It is not there to "prepare or qualify one for the rigors of a full PGA tour schedule". That is up to each player to figure that out for himself.
Argumentative much? Semantics. How the heck does 6 days of golf "identify" anything? That was my greater point.

It's not just six days. There are several qualifiers before that. This move is to protect existing tour players to the detriment of those that want to play on tour. It's collusion since these guys are independent contractors instead of employees. They could get away with such action under a collective bargaining agreement but you need employees for a CBA.

For those of you interested, Golf Channel2 is covering Sam Saunder's hitting balls on the range and then they are going to follow him to Wendy's. Good stuff!

Rant #2- Bubba Watson, you are a fabulous player and one of the most talented golfers in the world...

That being said, could you please, please, please take responsibility for ONE bad shot or putt you've ever hit.

They don't all hit spike marks, catch a gust of wind or have a gallery member talk in your backswing.

Sometimes its just you.

I don't think Sam will catch a win out there even with all the nepotism. He looks like he's stuck in that college mode, just smashing the hell out of everything hitting a big high draw and hoping that will give him enough opportunity to run the field over. Striking the ball well is fine, but there are plenty of great ball strikers out there who are just not winning tournaments.

I still think those who deserve it the most will earn it. This isn't anything compared to what guys like Elder, Peete, etc. had to deal with.

It's not just six days. There are several qualifiers before that. This move is to protect existing tour players to the detriment of those that want to play on tour. It's collusion since these guys are independent contractors instead of employees. They could get away with such action under a collective bargaining agreement but you need employees for a CBA.

"It's not just six days". I would argue that the majority of PGA Tour grads via Tour School were exempt from those earlier stages.
I would also argue that the staying power of Nationwide Tour grads is better than any of those guys anyway.

Violating anti trust laws might benefit the tour and their product. These guys colluded for their own benefit and are using the apparent benefits of collusion to justify their collusion. How can so many independent contractors meet and ban together to block other independent contractors from having a chance at work in any other business?

I'm pro business, but anti collusion. The PGA Tour blocks Casey Martin over the use of a cart but when it's in their best interest to violate anti trust laws they turn a blind eye.

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
You are mistaken conkanen. The only people exempt to final stage are 26-75 on the nationwide money list and 126 - 150 on the tour money list. The exemptions already protected the journeyman. The new rules protect them further.

Coming straight out of college or the mini tours you have to pass all 3 stages. No exemptions.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Violating anti trust laws might benefit the tour and their product. These guys colluded for their own benefit and are using the apparent benefits of collusion to justify their collusion. How can so many independent contractors meet and ban together to block other independent contractors from having a chance at work in any other business.

I'm pro business, but anti collusion. The PGA Tour blocks Casey Anthony over the use of a cart but when it's in their best interest to violate anti trust laws they turn a blind eye.

Casey Anthony? Isn't she the baby killer? I think you meant Casy Martin. But I got your point.

Crap! Wrong person. I'll change it.

The Tour thinks it's so high and mighty and will spin this illegal bullshit to their favor. I would love a shot at this case!

I'd like to see 5-6 guys go from college right to the tour. New blood is good for the game. Golf is great because you can still compete when your over 40, but they shouldn't be rigging the game to help out the Mayfairs, Janzens, Duvals, Elkingtons.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I'd like to see 5-6 guys go from college right to the tour. New blood is good for the game. Golf is great because you can still compete when your over 40, but they shouldn't be rigging the game to help out the Mayfairs, Janzens, Duvals, Elkingtons.

Totally agree. Why they wouldn't reserve 5 cards for new talent that would draw fans is beyond me. It's in the tours better interest to have Uilein, Cauley, Cantlay, etc, on the Tour so why it makes them qualify seems ridiculous. David Duval should've been handed a tour card the second he turned pro. Why wouldn't the Tour want him out there immediately?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't think Sam will catch a win out there even with all the nepotism. He looks like he's stuck in that college mode, just smashing the hell out of everything hitting a big high draw and hoping that will give him enough opportunity to run the field over. Striking the ball well is fine, but there are plenty of great ball strikers out there who are just not winning tournaments.

I still think those who deserve it the most will earn it. This isn't anything compared to what guys like Elder, Peete, etc. had to deal with.

I played with him two years in a row at the Nationwide stop in Pittsburgh. The first year short game was poor and there was a ton of curve on the ball. The next year several areas of his game had been tightened up so I would expect that trend to continue. Besides that, he's very nice and respectful of his opportunities. I wish him the best but understand the animosity. It was like Patrick Burke said "I had a nightmare that Nicklaus had 144 kids and nobody could get into Doral".

Status
Not open for further replies.