Closed clubface on shirt game shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closed clubface on short game shots

Recently I've been struggling getting closed on short pitches and half wedge shots leading to leading edge digging in too much and not enough height

How would I best keep face more open?

In my full swing I compensate for this buy there isn't enough time in the short pitches

Opening face at address?
Weakening grip at address?
Reverse twistaway?

I'd love to hear what the teachers and members find most effective

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Why do you want to open the face more? Why not keep your current face rotation going back and hold it going through?

On my shots I think turn the face down facing the ground on the backswing and then I hold it facing the ground on the through swing. I can hit high flop shots or low chip shots doing this.

I dig in the ground when I either don't keep my weight forward or I get my body too far out in front of the ball before impact. For me I have to focus on weight forward and body centered over ball.

This works for me and the guys who I play with. When I showed the closing of the face and holding it really improved their short game.

Thanks for the reply, I dont understand how you hit high flop shots delofting the club? Unless you release that rotation at impact, or you would just hit it low and left?

Confused.....

Last edited:

dbl

New
WD, to be fair, in your OP, you didn't mention flop shots.

For most pitches I use an angled hinge, or lack of swivel in the follow through. For longer low ones I close the face off with a full roll. For flop shots I agree with you, one isn't delofting the clubface.

As far as the problem you mentioned in the OP, I'd say to observe the face in a follow through position approximately where the right arm would be straight (on a full shot). Try to keep the face pointing to the sky, or angled. You can likely find a way to hold off closing the clubface naturally.

Thanks dbl, I get what you're saying..

I think i'm actually back to steep and pivoting poorly.....not closing the face after all....

Status
Not open for further replies.