Closed clubface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Brian,

You talk a lot about fixing the clubface as a starting point in fixing a swing, and mostly you talk about fixing a too-open clubface since that is a much more common problem. However, I have the opposite problem, a too closed clubface at impact which leads to my bad shot, a big pull-hook.

I used to think this was caused by an over-the-top move, but after learning a lot here and watching myself on video, it is a clubface issue...in fact, I am under plane and swinging out to right field on the downswing to compensate for over-rotating the club on the downswing.

When I posted my swings on this site, you commented that my shoulders and hips are not open enough coming into and at impact, and I think this is due in part to bending the plane line. I get to the top ok, then re-route EVERYTHING to right field and swing down this line, so with respect to the target line of course my hips and shoulders are not open enough. However, my hips generally fire too early, so I think the problem is not lack of hip and shoulder turn, but turning on the wrong plane line.

One thing I try to work on to fix my clubface issue is to come into impact with the "belly" of the right forearm facing up...throwing a still-turned right forearm into impact with my pivot.

What else would you suggest to fix a closed clubface, and do you think my analysis makes sense? Would you try to work on the clubface first and then pivot, or work on an "over the top" or "swing left" type of feel in conjunction with the clubface?

Thanks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
huestisc...not brian but in general your own analysis is correct and to be quite honest you are THE PERFECT candidate for Brian's "Never Hook Again."

It was made for people like you. If you purchase/watch this video and don't get rid of that hook I WILL even refund your money. Everything in that video will get rid of your issues.

Some highlights in the video that would address your issues are:

1) slight cup in your left wrist to OPEN the face (yes folks, we don't ALLLLLWAYS advocate a flat left wrist)
2) your arms to drop straight down to eliminate the underplane shift
3) keeping your hips ahead of your hands and your hands ahead of the club throughout the downswing

Check it out

I have it already!

Hi Jim,

I actually have Never Hook Again and about 6 months back experimented with it, but the results were mixed....not because of the information contained, but I overdid the backswing and ended up picking the club straight up and out, getting way off plane to start with and never getting back on track. The problem was working on it without supervision or video, so what I felt and what I was doing were at odds.

I also didn't feel a lot of power with it...but I will watch it again and maybe give it another spin. I know for you it was a stopping point along the way and not your final destination...I just got the feeling that it wasn't my final resting point either. Of course, what I need to do is at some point find a way to see Brian or one of his posse in person.

Clay

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The secret to the Never Hook Again pattern is the "drop." you have to make sure when you drop the arms the right shoulder goes down plane as well and you have SOME tilt.

It is very easy to simply drop the arms and shoulders go too far "out" and you lose accumulator lag, speed, power.

------

For the record i went from:

Never Slice Again
Never Hook Again
Fooling around with some Tom Tomasello stuff
Now i have a "blend" that is between the NSA and the NHA with my own little tweaks.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Fooling around with some Tom Tomasello stuff

The key words there are "fooling around." ;)

You can make ANY backswing, and still do the NHA downswing.

Just remember this:

The clubface is 90° open at the top of the swing.

If it is 2° open at impact, you are golden.

Call me anytime 502.417.4653 if you need a phone fix.

Thanks!

Thanks Jim and Brian for your responses.

So in the drop, I suppose I need to feel that the club stays "in front of me" to prevent the underplane move on the downswing?

I will give the NHA downswing a try with my current backswing and see how it works out....and if I have any problems or questions I'll give you a call. Maybe at some point we can hook up for a remote lesson/phone lesson.

Have fun at the Orlando show, "Big Al" should be dropping in to see you at the Rover booth.

Clay

Jim, any suggestion on a feel to help the shoulder go downplane with some tilt? I also had the same issue with NHA.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hmmm...let's see...

Ever skipped a rock?

Threw out a base runner from short or 3rd base?

Threw a frisbee "forehand"?

Threw an upper cut?

???????

If you have, you had PERFECT axis tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.