Club Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDL

New
I called up a local golf retailer to ask about prices for lie adjustments. I was told that cavity back clubs can't be adjusted for lie angle because they would crack.Thus he won't even try to adjust the lie angle on cavity backs. Only forged blades can be adjusted. Is he correct? I have Cleveland Irons TA-7. The practice mats leave green plastic residue from the center to the hell of my irons. I assume I have to have these adjusted flatter. So what do I do?

Thanks

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Cast clubs are harder to bend yes, but they can be bent. He is just afraid to because if he breaks one he owes you.

Where do you live DDL? Maybe i can help you find a really good clubmaker in your area. Usually local retailers aren't the best unfortunately. I have a few clubmakers i deal with and i'm sure they could either 1) help you or 2) find one more local to you

email me if you'd like

koby12@ureach.com

I am assuming your cavity back irons are cast. Castings, although quite strong, yield and fail at the same stress, thus they have essentially no ductility. In other words, the guy is correct.

DDL

New
I have this ancient GBB Warbird (made in 1995)with the original GBB light flex shaft, which my sis snapped at the hosel. Just had my swing speed measured to get fitted for a new graphite shaft. 80mph. LOL. Well I got the recommended UST competition 65. Senior flex . At least a generation before my time.

Now I don't know how accurate his launch monitor was. He aked me if I had a low ball flight with my drivers to the left. I told him flight trajectory was high , slightly to the right if it didn't draw. He was very skeptical when I told him I could hit it 200 yds,and when grooved, 220, and that I didn't hit it low. Well the practice tee was lower than I am accustomed to, thus I could see line drive balls to the left into the net. Plus my Warbird has an 11 degree loft. Don't know what I was swinging with.

The guy told me that cast, cavity back can be adjusted for lie angle, however not Cleveland.

Well I live in the NYC tri-state area. The area where everyone is a Gians or Jets fan.

To DDL

Some cast iron if they are oil cold then you can bend up to 5 - 6 degree. First you would have to test it on a lie board and see how bad it is as in lie variance. If you do not have the tools like the HG fitters then testing the true lie angle is still very much a guess job.
The length of the golf club will affect the lie angle change too, every one inch is 2 degree in lie angle change. So the alternative would be changing the length of the club, but again it will affect you setup posture, particularly if you are cutting it short for flatter lie angle.

Take it to one of them and see what's happen.

http://henry-griffitts.com/fittingctr.asp?State=NY

Status
Not open for further replies.