clubface open,closed or square at address

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlam

New
I know this is a personal preference but I like to know how other members orient their clubface when setting up.
I have been shutting my clubface/clubhead with my thumb muscles in relation to the target line then squaring up the clubface/clubhead with my posture.
I heard of other players who prefer a open clubface at address. How do you like to do set up your club?

ej20

New
Addressing the ball shut has the effect of strengthening your grip and vice versa.You might only see 2 knuckles but if the clubface is shut,then it is stronger than that.

I like to maintain the habit of keeping it square.I have the tendency to shut the face at address and it leads to pulls and hooks.

I heard Jack Nicklaus likes his open so his neutral grip is actually weaker than it looks.

S

SteveT

I like to maintain the habit of keeping it square.I have the tendency to shut the face at address and it leads to pulls and hooks.

That's quite revealing about your golfswing ... you must really shift a lot into your downswing.

Describe your body release ...

ej20

New
That's quite revealing about your golfswing ... you must really shift a lot into your downswing.

Describe your body release ...

I flipped for many years and it can still haunt me occasionally.The strong grip can help square the face if you flip badly and so it has become a habit that manifests if I don't monitor it.

That's one of the reason I don't like strong grips especially if you are prone to flipping.If you flip with a neutral or weak grip,you will have a massive open clubface so you tend to instinctively don't do it.Anyway,that is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

dlam

New
Ej20
That's interesting to me.Thanks for sharing, I also wondered why you had intense dislike for strong grips while I love it.

I don't think one can really tell that much. I think most golfers *try* to aim the face square, but it may be open or closed.

3JACK

I agree, it's one of those illusions. Years ago, I had salesman working for me that had played on the mini-tour. I remember that discussion. I said face is square, he said, no way, and put my iron actually square. Looked closed as hell to me.

He could break par in normal rounds. Member-Guest multiple years as my partner?
He never broke 80!

ej20

New
I think most good players can visualise the target line quite accurately and can set the clubface how they want it be it square,closed or open.If you can't visualise the target line,yes it is a crap shoot.

Some players believe they use a strong grip but set the clubface open.In reality it is not as strong as they think,probably closer to neutral.

I think most good players can visualise the target line quite accurately and can set the clubface how they want it be it square,closed or open.If you can't visualise the target line,yes it is a crap shoot.

Some players believe they use a strong grip but set the clubface open.In reality it is not as strong as they think,probably closer to neutral.

That's true if you take into account the clubface's relationship to the hands. I guess some people just make a better pass at it if their hands are turned at address.

ej20

New
That's true if you take into account the clubface's relationship to the hands. I guess some people just make a better pass at it if their hands are turned at address.

If you think about it,the club's relationship to the hands is all that matters in the golf swing.People look at how strong or weak the grip looks but ignore how the clubface is orientated at address.A strong grip with an open clubface is just a neutral grip with the hands pre turned and there's nothing wrong with that if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.