Clubface position at the top of backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure if this has been asked before as I'm relatively new to the site but my question is.... If the clubface isn't square at the top of the backswing is there a preference as to which way you would like it to be? Open like Geoff Ogilvy gets into sometimes and I think someone mentioned Charl Schwartzel maybe at times or Closed like Duval in his prime and Tiger when he first came out? And if they are producing a relatively high percentage of good numbers/ball flights would you even bother to tinker with it? Or would the fault magnify more under pressure?

The club face angle at the top of the backswing dictates the hand release at impact. If the blade is closed or shut, to avoid hitting a hook the hands have to keep the golf club open through impact. If the club face is open at the top the golfer has to roll the club face closed at impact to avoid a slice. If you can manipulate the club face at will it means you are able to shape shots both ways.

Not exactly. The clubface is never normally "closed" at the top. Just varying degrees of "open". There has never been any obvious connection between more or less clubface rotation and consistency of clubface alignment at impact. Trevino only rolled the blade open 45*. Hogan, up to 100*.

I love the ""less open" term.

I play from "less open" and always preferred it to "more open". Less hand action for me the better.

Unless the club is twisting in your hands, clubface position at the top is dictated by your grip and wrist conditions (bent, flat, or arched). If you have a strong grip and a flat wrist the clubface will point more skyward. If your grip is weak and your wrist is bent or flat it will appear more open.

Personally, I prefer a neutral grip and a flat wrist at the top where the clubface will match the angle of the wrist at the top. Just remember the more open the face at the top the more you have to work to get it closed... if you struggle with a slice, a wide open clubface at the top is not what you want because you may have to find other ways to close the face like timing the flip.

Also, I'm not sure that I would call clubface conditions at the top of the backswing a fault unless you hook the ball and have a closed face at the top, or slice the ball and have an open face. Even so you have to be careful because grip and wrist conditions are the cause of what you are seeing with the clubface at the top.

You just have to be sure to mix the right elements in a golf swing together. Therefore, assigning a general preference as to what clubface position at the top is preferred wouldn't be possible. A more open clubface at the top my be helpful for one person and disastrous for another. Just make sure that whatever you are doing fits with your pattern.

What a great forum this is! There ain't nowhere on the internet, no forum, no nothing, where you can get such great answers to questions like the OP.

Absolutely! I love the fact that ordinary joe's like myself can mingle with you instructors out there without feeling like we're "in the way." I know I wouldn't feel very comfortable approaching most local pro's with the 20 questions routine unless I had just paid for a lesson. Keep up the good work yall!

Status
Not open for further replies.