Clubfitters - GE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling all equipment experts:

I just bought Titleist 913 D3 with a Diamana White 83g x-flex shaft. Foolishly, because of time constraints and my own stupidity, I wasn't fitted for it.

I normally need a really stiff shaft (CH speed about 112-114) with lots of early loading and late release. I actually snapped a shaft in transition once and can fire some fairly long mofas from time to time. Nothing gaga long but over 300 when I catch once half decent.

Here's the problem: I'm getting absurd GE high as you like slices from heel hits, and low diving mofas from toe hit which only hook a little. But here's the crazy part - I've never hit it outside of the non grooved part in the middle of the face.

Question: Is this coming from the shaft or the head? Should I have got the shaft tipped, or do I need another shaft completely?
ou4fb8.png

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Shaft is too stiff for you...white board is ok but a 80g x-flex in a white board (mitsu stiffest profile) is A LOT of shaft.

Waiting for Frans in 3.............2.............1...............

Thanks for commenting Jim.

My own thoughts are that the shaft is not stiff enough for me. I had an X-flex Rombax in my last driver which was really stable and I could hardley hit it offline with that one. This Diamana thing is like a fekin ladies shaft in comparison.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks for commenting Jim.

My own thoughts are that the shaft is not stiff enough for me. I had an X-flex Rombax in my last driver which was really stable and I could hardley hit it offline with that one. This Diamana thing is like a fekin ladies shaft in comparison.

Well, this is why fitting is a bit of art and science. In my experience when you give someone a shaft that is too stiff for them you'll see a lot of random shots because they are REALLLLY trying to load that shaft. However, from memory (been out of the equipment game for a bit) rombax was always more of a "pipe feeling" type of shaft and Mitsu (even the whiteboard) have always been smoother feeling regardless of flex. So it could just be a bad shaft profile for you as well.

Lastly, what was your last driver head? The D3 series (910 or 913) have always been more of a "players" head based on where they put the COG to aid in shaping it and not their highest MOI "straight" head. So it's very possible that even though you're hitting the driver in similar spots as last head you'll have more gear effect based on where COG is in the head.

Yep, sounds like an bad profile for how you load it, Wulsy. I'm out of town and don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe those shafts aren't that close in profile (regardless of flex designation). Of course, there are a few Rombax profiles.

Interesting comments, Jim and Mike.

Yep, the Rombax was like a pipe - it really felt like an iron rod (it was in an old Superquad R7 which I gave to my son, despite still loving how straight I could hit it!). As you say Jim, the Whiteboard is much smoother feeling and just doesn't seem to fit into my loading style. I can hit it really long when I kind of "hit it hard but swing smoother", some beautiful shots but I just feel I can't really go at one without spraying it all over the joint.

I've recently switched to a graphite shaft S flex in my irons and I can really swing hard and hit my 3 iron about 245 with no dispersion coming from the shaft characteristics, hence my idea that it may have been the shaft in the driver (or GE from the head).

So, looks like the loading is wrong for my "hit it hard" kind of swing. How does the loading vary from shaft to shaft? What specifically am I looking for in terms of loading?

The 913 D3 feels like the 983 K in terms of a "thin face." I love the 913 and am surprised at the unplayable misses referenced above. Something is off. I cast a little and fit into the Fuel 60X. In my 910 D3 I had the Ahina (real) 80g X. Both great drivers, but I like that thin face feel over the 91O. Curious about the answer.

I agree cwd that it feels thin-faced. When you hit it right out the middle it really does feel like a trampoline and it goes a long way. But methinks that Jimbob had a good point when he said it was made for shaping. Maybe not a great combo - thin face and big shaping possibilities. Maybe in combination with a pipe shaft, but not with that Whiteboard. Hey, maybe I'm just a hacker and don't want to admit it.;), but when I hit my 3 iron 245 straight as an arrow repeatedly, it makes me think I must be doin sumthn right, right?

I agree cwd that it feels thin-faced. When you hit it right out the middle it really does feel like a trampoline and it goes a long way. But methinks that Jimbob had a good point when he said it was made for shaping. Maybe not a great combo - thin face and big shaping possibilities. Maybe in combination with a pipe shaft, but not with that Whiteboard. Hey, maybe I'm just a hacker and don't want to admit it.;), but when I hit my 3 iron 245 straight as an arrow repeatedly, it makes me think I must be doin sumthn right, right?

I think the 913 is built to hit the ball straight. Why? It's over 400ccs and the balls go straighter now than they ever did. I remember curving the crap out of balata balls with only slight swing changes. Not anymore. I haven't found a big gear effect with the 913.

3 iron 245? Put the driver in your garage. That's a 105-110 mph 3 iron.

Last edited:
What graphite did you it in your 3 iron? There are some really really good ones out right now.

Mike, it's just a cheapo (Aerotech Hoop Wind Technology). Due to an injury I decided to try graphite temporarily on the basis if it being kinder to the joints so I stuck some special offer ones into a semi-cavity. To my surprise they are ultra stable and so pleasantly light compared to my Pro X 6.0 that I'm thinking about keeping them. Only problem is on the short irons it's difficult to control distance.

What would you guys recommend in the graphite shaft market for irons as a replacement for a DG/ProX type of player?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think the 913 is built to hit the ball straight. Why? It's over 400ccs and the balls go straighter now than they ever did. I remember curving the crap out of balata balls with only slight swing changes. Not anymore. I haven't found a big gear effect with the 913.

https://www.google.com/search?q=913...s=chrome.0.57.6661j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Here's just one review:

Titleist 913 D3 Driver Review | SirShanksAlot.com

"The Aldila α Rip 60 produced a mid ball flight with the 913 D3 driver head. In addition, the workability in the D3 is apparent. The 913 D3 does not offer the forgiveness of the D2. It is much easier to spray the ball left or right. Many of the misses with the D3 were low and left with a right to left ball flight. Personally, I found the D2 produced a higher trajectory, more forgiving and longer than the D3. However, some will enjoy the ability to work the ball and prefer the D3."

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/search?q=913...s=chrome.0.57.6661j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Here's just one review:

Titleist 913 D3 Driver Review | SirShanksAlot.com

"The Aldila α Rip 60 produced a mid ball flight with the 913 D3 driver head. In addition, the workability in the D3 is apparent. The 913 D3 does not offer the forgiveness of the D2. It is much easier to spray the ball left or right. Many of the misses with the D3 were low and left with a right to left ball flight. Personally, I found the D2 produced a higher trajectory, more forgiving and longer than the D3. However, some will enjoy the ability to work the ball and prefer the D3."

Ooohps, looks like I bought the wrong one. Who-T-F wants to work a driver anyway, Mr Titleist? Yoo stoopid?;) Thanks for the info, Jim.

Thanks for the tip Mike. Having already been impressed by one of Aerotech's previous models, this one looks like a safe bet for me.

Ooohps, looks like I bought the wrong one. Who-T-F wants to work a driver anyway, Mr Titleist? Yoo stoopid?;) Thanks for the info, Jim.

Thanks for the tip Mike. Having already been impressed by one of Aerotech's previous models, this one looks like a safe bet for me.

lol I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.