clubs for a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a set of clubs that I want to give to a kid who is less fortunate so to speak. He is 11 years old and 5 foot 1. I want something that could last him a few years, right now he is using adult clubs and it looks like a little too much for him. I got a set of clubs I can cut down and give to him, so What length should the 5 iron be, any ideas?
thanks

he is a kid I don't see much So I have not taken his wrist to ground measurement but I figure something in his ball park would be better for him and since he already has adult clubs he could use those when he gets to be 15 or so. In the next couple of years he will grow some so that measurement would change, but I can see how it would be helpful for a starting point. He is about 115-120, kind of wiry but not excessively so.

This is an unfortunate situation. I understand your desire to help him and your heart is in the right place. But too often I see kids struggling with the weight and shaft flex of those cut down clubs.

The best thing you can do for him is limit the clubs you get him to just four. A 3 wood, 7 iron (or 6), Pitching Wedge, and putter. Make sure they are light and flexible. This will go a lot further toward his development than a full set of cut down clubs.

If you really only have that one set to work with then there are some things you can do.

You can machine down a lot of the weight of the clubhead. Get it light for him. Then get them reshafted with kids or weak ladies shaft. Just cutting them down does not make them light enough, nor flexible enough.

Again, I know you're trying to do good... but just cutting adult clubs is often much more harmful to their development than people realize.

Steve: I had feedback that is in some ways in opposition to your advice: I would opt for "heavier" rather than lighter, as the feel of the club head is so pronounced that the child has to respond to and deal with it. The best pupil I ever coached, then captain of the Fl. State golf team, had used his father's clubs to learn on as a kid: way too long and way too heavy. He tested phenomenally high on the PGA tour bus testing equipment as to all of the things they like to measure and he was a pure ball striker with plenty of length. I really believe those heavy clubs MADE him learn to use his core muscles well and correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.