Clubs for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kids of 4 and 6 are starting to take an interest - and the question of clubs has come up.

Back in my day, the lucky kids got cut down adult clubs. The not so lucky kids got clubs that weren't cut down.

Obviously there's loads of clubs now aimed at kids. But I have no shortage of irons in the cupboard and we'd all get a bit of a kick out of spending part of the weekend sawing some of the old man's clubs down to size and bodging on some grip.

Any thoughts on whether the head weight will be totally unwieldy for young kids or any other advice that makes this a bad idea?

Thanks

BS

My kids of 4 and 6 are starting to take an interest - and the question of clubs has come up.

Back in my day, the lucky kids got cut down adult clubs. The not so lucky kids got clubs that weren't cut down.

Obviously there's loads of clubs now aimed at kids. But I have no shortage of irons in the cupboard and we'd all get a bit of a kick out of spending part of the weekend sawing some of the old man's clubs down to size and bodging on some grip.

Any thoughts on whether the head weight will be totally unwieldy for young kids or any other advice that makes this a bad idea?

Thanks

BS
Birly,
Won't the shafts be a little stiff for kids if you cut men's clubs down?

Could well be. This is uncharted territory for me - and the boys will be coming off of plastic bats and balls, so they won't know what's hit them.

S

SteveT

Buy a set of PING kids club set, like I did recently for grandchildren... and the shafts are mighty whippy too. Very colorful and kids-friendly. Right and Left hand models too.

If you don't want to listen to me, listen to otto6457 below ....LOL

Last edited:
hey birly

The best clubs I've personally seen for kids are the Ping Jr. sets. I work with a guy that has 4 boys and all of them used the same Ping Jr set when they were starting out. They could bang the heck out of them and they still look good after all 4 boys used them.

I started with my dad's old clubs cut down and I still remember how hard it was to get the 5 iron in the air. Kids need to have some success or they will just lose interest. There's too much stuff for them to do now days. When I was young I either played golf or mowed grass. So struggling to get the 5 iron in the air wasn't so bad.

Hello Birly,

Some larger shops have demos available to try and the other popular brand (my kids used them) is US KIDS.

I know with US KIDS, some beginner clubs are proportionally 24% lighter.

birly, times have changed, FFS don't let them use cut down clubs!

When you and I were young the world was pish, and that's why we got cut down clubs and if you had an older brother you had to wear his cloths after he grew out of them!

Buy them a nice kids set specifically for their age: every OEM is doing them now.

Couldn't one argue that making kids use cut down clubs (which are heavier than clubs built specifically for kids) forces them to develop power from the beginning?
An example of this in practice is John Daly; he was given adults clubs as a kid that werent cut down so he had to develop the strength to use them quickly otherwise he couldnt play.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think there are pros and cons either way. However, most great players started playing with clubs that were cut down adult clubs.

With cut down heavy adult clubs they really have to learn to get the clubhead moving to "line it up" at impact. I think the lighter clubs could create more handle dragging. With the heavier clubs, kids learn to "let go" and let the club do the work. The lighter clubs tend to force kids to learn like an a beginning adult would learn and allows them to overpower the club.

Clubs for kids are fine, but I always make sure they are at least an age group ahead of what the childs age is. My own children start with a cut down old Cleveland 588 wedge. Then we go from there. I want them to learn to swing with no inhibitions first.

Why cut them down? Make them play with full size and stick some lead tape on them!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WFENA4I5xws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am not big on learning to swing something but that something is on the heavy side. They have plenty of time to strengthen their bodies. In fact, it is really not a good idea to go heavy until after puberty anyway.

birly, check your pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.