Clubshaft on forearm angle at impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Brian, I have an important question - just for you.

Yellow line represents the position of the hands in relation to the ear, red line represents clubshaft and forearm.

This is a nice impact position of Mr.Snead with rear forearm on perfectly parallel plane with the shaft:

8gfsad4.jpg

This is a not so nice sequence of an amateur hacker :rolleyes: :

82ibep2.jpg

6lj6f61.jpg

7x0exyp.jpg

Now the question...I don't have similar 3 photos of Snead, but I have analyzed his videos and his waist-high position is similar to my pic.1 in that the yellow line covers his ear and hands. Next position is not so similar, since his hands would remain on the yellow line - while mine start to come out the line. Position no. 3 is quite different - his hands are still on the yellow line (as shown) while mine are visibly outside the zone making my forearm-shaft allignment not parallel at all (as shown).

The tricky part is - I am working at arriving at parallel position. IMHO, I have 2 choices:
a. to adjust the shaft position (i.e. the club) to my forearm line. It brings hosel shots and shanks since my ball position remains the same; I could place the ball further from my body and flatten my clubs' lie even more (they're already flattened), but I don't believe it would be correct.
b. to adjust the forearm action, i.e. to move it more "down" than "out" from waist-high to impact position; this action needs to find a space for an "extra length" (because my forearm is not parallel to the shaft) in order not to hit the ball fat.

If I am at the right path and understood some of your video lessons correctly, the "extra length" should find its place thanks to arriving at another impact position with more forward shaft lean at impact (e.g. slightly bowed left wrist) and a bit better body turn.

I'd love to hear your comments on this subject. Many thanks !

Cheers

Dariusz J.

Brian...may it be true that the plane on Hands Only Position at Address (HOPA) instead Elbow Plane at address can be a culprit for the phenomenon ?

If you think noone should worry about the issue I've described - just say: don't bother with such things, stupid :D

All the best,

the difference is that snead is still turning through impact a ton more than you are. He has turned his lower body so much(with his right heel on the ground no less) that you can see space between his knees. Tough position to get into without his flexibility.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
D, I know you asked Brian, but be careful about trying to achieve the position of right forearm on shaft plane at impact. It is not by any means an absolute,and not every great striker does it. (it's also very difficult)

Status
Not open for further replies.