Cold weather experience - when do you club up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am driving down to Malone, NY for a golf weekend this weekend with some of my buddies from university and the weather is supposed to be cool. I've heard that the ball doesn't travel as far in cooler weather, but I have no experience to speak of. I realize that this is a bit subjective, but I was wondering if any of you can offer any guidance as to at what temperature do you typically club up due to the cold?

I've heard that the ball doesn't travel as far in cooler weather, but I have no experience to speak of.
Come on rub it in that the summer is over to all of us who don't live in ever sunny areas :( Jealous!!!

In the winter I normally take at least one club more but that is for temps below 10 cel (50 F).

Come on rub it in that the summer is over to all of us who don't live in ever sunny areas :( Jealous!!!

In the winter I normally take at least one club more but that is for temps below 10 cel (50 F).

Ha! Thanks ParHunter. I actually live just outside of Toronto, Canada, so, not exactly balmy here either. Highs for the weekend are 15 cel. Thanks again for the help.

I play in NY year round. I play the lady precept ball when its gets cold. I hit it about 5-7 yards less than in the warmer months

I thought I saw or read somewhere, and I think Jim K may have said it, that you lose a yard for every 2 degrees under 70 degrees farenheit or something along that line?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I thought I saw or read somewhere, and I think Jim K may have said it, that you lose a yard for every 2 degrees under 70 degrees farenheit or something along that line?

Well i was just repeating something i had found then, so essentially 0.5 yard for every degree. So from 70 to 50 would be 10 yards but i don't know if that is on irons or woods; seems excessive.

This might sound glib, but I don't mean it that way at all. I mean to give a serious answer. I don't think this is the sort of question that is best answered with a formula.

Q. When do you club up in cold weather?

A. When it's cold enough that your standard club won't get there.

Seriously, there's no need to make a science of it: just get a feel for how far you are hitting it, and adjust accordingly.

In my experience playing with a lot of different golfers over the past year (I have no regular foursome), I think most amateur golfers are far too hesitant to take an extra club when conditions change. I played a week ago in some very stiff wind for around here (20 to 25mph) and I was playing with a couple of decent young players who could both broke 90. But dead into the wind they would often only take 1/2 or 1 club more. They would then invariably swing harder. Most of the time this would lead to a bad miss, but when they hit one solid they would spin it up in the air and come up way short. I was playing with one guy who is usually about a half a club shorter than I, but on into-the-wind holes I would be hitting 2 to 3 clubs more than him because I was hitting 2 to 3 clubs more than I usually do.

I was just talking about this issue today given my shots weren't going as far as they were a couple weeks ago. I've lost about 10-15 yards off the tee at 60* and at least 1/2 a club with my irons. Very noticeable.

lia41985

When do I club up? It's a way of life, bruh:
mike-situation-sorrentino-jersey-shore.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.