Compound Hip Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Austin (Dr. in kinesiology, degrees in engineering and physics) teaches that the hips tilt, then turn.

Why my swing looks so fluid is because I don't have an upright spine. The top of my spine stays still and the bottom swings.

Everybody has the wrong idea of what the hips do. They try to turn their hips. You turn your hips and your head sways.

My hips tilt up and down and then turn. It's a compund action.

This is excellent instruction, IMO. You can see this in Sam Snead and Bobby Jones...

The left knee swivels and points behind the ball as the right knee straightens, but doesn't lock. For the downswing, the tailbone will move across as the top stays back for the axis tilt. Although the center of the axis tilt is really the sternum, as Alex Sloan says. The right knee will pull the left leg into extension for the finish.

hue

New
I remember something refering to this compound hip action being mentioned on the post on mikestloc's swing on FGI. Some one wrote that his right knee seemed to straighten a bit on the backswing and BRian said that was good. Could you go into this compound hip action? Thanks

Austin really emphasizes tilting--even though it's not mentioned in the video. In the video, he and Dunaway talk about throwing the clubhead from the top; in person, Austin said that he tilts until his right elbow gets to his right hip (while maintaining his bent right arm), then he throws from there (the pitch position) to straighten the right arm until the forearms touch.

There is quite a bit of overlap between TGM, Bertholy, and Austin.

Hogan in personal correspondences described the tilt as a 'Sagging or Sag' of the side at the hip. Both on the back stroke and down stroke. Thought that word gave an unique visual picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.