Compressing the Ball....the folly of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lindsay Gahm and Derek Sanders both have "zero" path swings on the Trackman as Brian says, but I am curious who has the better sound at impact with their irons? Derek sure looks like he compresses that ball while Lindsay looks like she just nips it off the grass.

ggsjpc

New
Both have "zero" swings on the Trackman as Brian says but I am curious who has the better sound at impact with their irons? Derek sure looks like he compresses that ball while Lindsay looks like she just nips it off the grass.

Are you saying that compression doesn't happen nipping it off the grass?

I guess none of the shots with a driver never have a good sound either. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious about the sound of impact between someone who swings like Derek vs someone who swings like Lindsay. Derek looks like he can compress the snot out of the ball, Lindsay doesn't.

Put Derek and Lindsay side-by-side on the range hitting irons from the grass, who sounds better? Brian can answer that.

ej20

New
Derek's clubhead speed will be a bit higher so this comparison doesn't work.

How much you compress(deform) the ball is based on clubhead speed,angle of attack and of course center hit.I doubt it has anything to do with swing technique such as sweep release,hitting or swinging.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The dirty little secret about compression....

You have this hacker, he has a 10° lofted driver, he swings 95 mph, hits down on the ball 4°, dynamic loft of 20°, path 0°, clubface 0°.

Tiger Woods has a 6 iron, he smooths it 95 mph, hits down on the ball 4°, dynamic loft of 20°, path 0°, clubface 0°.

Who compresses it more?

You have this hacker, he has a 10° lofted driver, he swings 95 mph, hits down on the ball 4°, dynamic loft of 20°, path 0°, clubface 0°.

Tiger Woods has a 6 iron, he smooths it 95 mph, hits down on the ball 4°, dynamic loft of 20°, path 0°, clubface 0°.

Who compresses it more?

It's the same, isn't it?

Who compresses it more?

The one with the flat left wrist and the least compression leakage???

whoever hits the sweet spot better. GOG hit prevents against clubface angle changing due to impact contact. More energy is consumed in the clubface moving the ball instead of the ball tilting the clubface.

The one with the flat left wrist and the least compression leakage???

please...its whoever who is horizontal hinging!

on a more serious note i would guess tiger compresses it more due to lower COR on the iron? (assuming center hits for both players)

lia41985

It's the same, isn't it?
The ball says you're right!
puttyirons.gif

Who compresses it more?

TW, because the differences in both mass (iron is heavier) and cor (less sping effect on iron ).

But the ball from the hacker has more carry :D because the final ballspeed is higher due to the cor of the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.