Corey Pavin

Status
Not open for further replies.
On playing lessons Corey Pavin says that amateurs stand too far away from the ball and reach for it.

He felt that this leads to lateral hip slide rather then turning through the shot.Shanks can also come from this.

Jim Furyk stands almost on top of the ball.He and Corey Pavin are not known as power hitters but incredibly accurate.

Any thoughts about this?

paven's length might have something to do with this crazy impact
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfmrr14EWJ8[/media]

nelson said you cant stand too close to the ball. furyk has his arms so far behind his hips at impact he has no choice but to crowd the ball.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
IMO amatuers stand too close as it is and don't bend from the hips enough which leads to off plane downswings and little to no axis tilt.

Corey will kick my butt on any golf course in town but remember, he's a touring pro and not a teacher

IMO amatuers stand too close as it is and don't bend from the hips enough which leads to off plane downswings and little to no axis tilt.

Corey will kick my butt on any golf course in town but remember, he's a touring pro and not a teacher

Ditto- Right on the money Jim!

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Brian,

Do you think that there is no such thing as a great golf teacher that isn't one of your own?

Future,

By no measure would I consider myself a great teacher.

I do think that Brian is one.

Having you and Sturgess around, as self designated dissenters is good, I think, in that to become a better teacher you better know what your vocal opponents think. Golf Instruction would be better if the teachers were to get a lot more constructive criticisms.

I just wish that there was a little more content in your rebuttels.

why the sarcasm? do you know pavin personally? do you think that theres no such thing as a great golf teacher outside of the manzella crew?

pavin is a great player, however on the average, touring pros have no idea what they are talking about... hell, the majority of the "teaching" pros have no idea what they are talking about... so, no I personaly would not want to take lessons from a guy who averages 250 off the tee and is a touring pro not in his 60s... I would love to play a round of golf with him though...

And, I like razing you any chance I get, because I know you will return the favor at some point.;)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I wouldn't call myself a great teacher but I'd say above average. For the most part I like to let the people I have given lessons to be the ultimate judge.

Absolutely.

But, trust me, there ain't two dozen of them on earth.

Gotta laugh . The stallion strikes again with a great one liner.
Would any of the well known coaches fit into this 2 dozen ?
e.g Haney, Leadbetter,Harmon,Hardy,P&B,Mac Ogrady,Steve Bann,Gary Edwin
and others

pavin is a great player, however on the average, touring pros have no idea what they are talking about... hell, the majority of the "teaching" pros have no idea what they are talking about... so, no I personaly would not want to take lessons from a guy who averages 250 off the tee and is a touring pro not in his 60s... I would love to play a round of golf with him though...

And, I like razing you any chance I get, because I know you will return the favor at some point.;)

you could be a politician.

pavin is a great player, however on the average, touring pros have no idea what they are talking about... hell, the majority of the "teaching" pros have no idea what they are talking about

So from your learned opinion that means of X number of touring pros ..assuming the average is 50% ..this number don't know what they are talking about..lol ..how do you come up with this figure? Based on personal experience of taking lessons from them? Or some other unbiased source of information?

Future,

By no measure would I consider myself a great teacher.

I do think that Brian is one.

Having you and Sturgess around, as self designated dissenters is good, I think, in that to become a better teacher you better know what your vocal opponents think. Golf Instruction would be better if the teachers were to get a lot more constructive criticisms.

I just wish that there was a little more content in your rebuttels.

exactly Damon, that's what gives this sight an extra bit of spice. most legal systems are based entirely on exactly this. having someone on the other side yapping away trying to argue the opposite to what you think and to what the law thinks. every now and then they say something that makes you sit back and think, 'actually, you've got a good point there'. and the law progresses and so too does this site. i think brian should make his rare moments like these known. that heightened knowledge on top of an already large stack is a wonderful thing. standing on the shoulders of giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.