Correct backswing length

Status
Not open for further replies.
In percentage terms, if 100% is the maximum you could swing back in the backswing, what percentage do top players actually you swing back on a typical swing?

I'm sure results and feels will vary for different but interested to get some thoughts.

Does project 1.68 have anything to say on the length of the backswing?

The context for me is that recently improved striking by closing my stance but after further experimentation I have come to believe that a closed stance is something that allows an overswinger to "get away with it", not a fix in and of itself.

Erik_K

New
I'd say the modern trend is to have a compact swing where the driver has the longest back swing where the shaft is parallel to the ground at the top. Yes, there are exceptions and Watson stands out as someone with a very long backswing. Daly also had a very long swing, especially with the driver.

The amount of backswing depends on the club, the conditions, and so on. For me when you say swing at 75%, I usually end up stopping (near the top) about where I would be for a full shot.

I'd be curious to see what others have to say about the closed stance and the length of the swing.

Erik

I think the correct backswing length is different for everybody. It's not always going to be parallel to the ground. You should let the club set on it's own. If you try to hold it in a position i.e. parallel to the ground you might destroy your momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.